55 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone! My 55 Gallon is approaching the end of its cycle and I should be ready to stock soon. There' are many fish that I would love to have, but I know I can't have them all. I have a 55 gallon with 20 gal sump, Reef Octopus 110, 70 lbs of LR, 80 lbs of LS. I do not plan on having an y corrals, at least not yet. But I would love to hear your thoughts on the appropriate fish to have. Here's a list of the desired fish:

Ocellaris Clown (x2)
Flame Angel
Pacific Cleaner Shrimp
Purple Gramma
Blue Hippo Tang (I know I can't have this one, but still greatly desired)
Green Chromis (x2-x4)

Are these unrealistic? Would some of these combos not work out? Any suggestions or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Everything except for the hippo tang sounds good .

Agree, a 55 is way too small for a hippo tang. Also, just a thought, if you DO plan on corals down the road, you might want to reconsider the angel. From most everything Ive seen, they tend to nip at corals.

People here are just trying to offer the best advice for the fish to THRIVE.

One person may have a fish do ok in a smaller tank and 100 other people have seen them die. I listen to what seems to work for most people.

Plus, something may work short term but I want my fish around for years.

I'm glad your Tangs are great.

I hope the OP has success with their tank as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with that is Tangs, and many other fish, will have issues before they are physically too big for a tank. It will cause stress, can stunt growth and often causes territorial issues with other fish. By the time the average person ignoring the basic rules sees problems, the damage has already been done. That has been shown time and time again, both through research and in everyday observations.

People can choose to do what they want to with their tanks (and obviously many do), but that does not make it right, not does it make it good advice. In proper conditions, the fish that we keep should live for years...basically as long as they would have lived in the ocean. Maybe even longer due to us taking the "being eaten by a predator" out of the equation.

*whew! Oh my... I didn't mean to spark rage. But I am thankful for you guys sharing all your knowledge and experience. No one's a bad guy here. It makes me happy that people discourage me from getting a tang because in most cases it seems like they get stressed and die way before they're supposed to. On the other hand it makes me happy that people out there make it work.

I have a 55gallon that I try to buy all my fish smaller than my flame angle ,which is the biggest fish beside my diamond goby but my blue damsel aka Ike is the bully of my tank. Ike been in the tank from day one,so he can be the bully. I want a hippo tang to and going to get one but a small one. I have in my tank for now lol
OCELLARIS CLOWNS -2
FLAME ANGLE
DIAMOND SLEEPER GOBY
REDLINE CLEANER SHRIMP
ORCHID DOTTYBACK
BLUE DAMSEL
YELLOW TAIL DAMSELS -2
GREEN CHROMIS -3
6 LINE WRASSE

I have a 55gallon that I try to buy all my fish smaller than my flame angle ,which is the biggest fish beside my diamond goby but my blue damsel aka Ike is the bully of my tank. Ike been in the tank from day one,so he can be the bully. I want a hippo tang to and going to get one but a small one. I have in my tank for now lol
OCELLARIS CLOWNS -2
FLAME ANGLE
DIAMOND SLEEPER GOBY
REDLINE CLEANER SHRIMP
ORCHID DOTTYBACK
BLUE DAMSEL
YELLOW TAIL DAMSELS -2
GREEN CHROMIS -3
6 LINE WRASSE

Wow! Those are very pretty fish. I definitely want a Flame Angel. I'll be getting a 2nd ocellaris soon. I only have 1 Ocellaris Clownfish and a green chromis. I think I might add an Orchid Dottyback

I know many folks select livestock based on the colors and shapes they want, but I suggest you study which fish work well together in your size system. The hope is to help you avoid throwing away expensive fish. This isn't luck, it's science and understanding the needs of your livestock.

Pick a gramma or dottyback , but not both IMO.

Royal grammas are basletts not dottybacks. However I agree to pick one or the other. Royal grammas are wimps.

Lol I didn't know if that was what was being argued. Yeah their colors will cause them to fight.

Back
Top Bottom