55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest you can afford and fit. You can do a 10 gallon sump up to 100 gallon plus. There is not set size. Whatever the biggest that fits where you wanna put the sump is what is best. More water equals more stable enviroment

Are you putting it under the tank, or in the basement under the tank?
Totally agree with Daniel. The bigger water volume you can get the better off you are.

I'm thinking of picking up a big clothes contain from wall mart as a sump. Yes its going under the tank in my basement.

What gph pump should I get, N what brand? I was thinking at 660 to 800 gph pump.

Agree with the others as well. My only word of advice on top of that is be sure you don't get a sump that is to tall. Keep in mind that even if the sump will fit under the tank you will need room to fit your skimmer and other equipment in there. I know several people who put a sump that was two tall and then had trouble with getting their skimmer in and out.

It is not required but it is helpful. Not saying you have to have one. If you do though just keep in mind that you will need room to work and do maintenance in your sump so leave enough space between the top of the sump and the lowest edge of the doors on your stand.

Hioa about using a 12" high kiddie pool. Add some cc in one area, make a dsb in a 1/4 of it and use the rest as a reguium area and an area for heaters and proten skimmer. Use a couple of PHs to move water to any dead areas.
Pick up a few detrivore kits (IPSF, Inalnad Aquatics,, etc).
Then you can sell detrivore kits to others at is matures and you need to trim the macro.

should it have 3 stage or 4?

1 stage for bio balls. one for heater, what about carbon?

Back
Top Bottom