55 is the death of me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packfan2204

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well after 5 years i'm tearing down the 55. The last 7 fish i've added over the last 6 months have not survived. The maroon clown and yellow tang and corals have lasted for awhile with no problems, and no the yellow tang and clown are not picking on the newcomers. There's no sign of nitrates, ammonia, nitrite, nothing, i've always used RO water. I always drip acclimate my fish, so i don't understand. But i'm taking my current fish and corals to the store till i get the tank restarted. I'm replacing the sandbed and completely changing out all filters. Anyone else not have a reason for no success? Maybe its just really bad luck!

did you notice any aggression toward new comers from your fish??? Maroon clowns and the tangs can be aggressive too (in that small of a tank).

Rock sand and a skimmer. thats all (in my opinion) you should be using as your filter in the tank after you redo it.

Good Luck!

Could it be the fish from the LFS? I'd consider shopping somewhere else for a bit if your fish died soon after you bought them. Also, how did the fish look (fins, etc)? Maybe your tank is contaminated with ich, or some other disease, and all the fish are dying as a result.

no, i trust the store because i work there, i hold all fish i buy there for at least a month, and i definitely know how to spot ich and all of that sort, so its not my selection

I had a similar problem with my corals where they were going great guns, then one day they almost simultaneously all fell over except for one, and the anenomes are fine as are the fish.

Never figured it out, and resolved not to get corals again except for the one that has been rock solid since day 1.

well i just tore the tank down and now i'm restarting, and since i'm restarting might as well do it right. Just went to lowes to get some supplies to build the new canopy and rock support, and just ordered my skimmer, i'll keep u guys informed as i get it put back together

Back
Top Bottom