55 stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to stock my 55 gallon, but I'm picky. I want large cichlids, but few of them. I also want a large bottom feeder, like a loach or pleco. My filter has 350 gph and I do frequent water changes. What fish should I get, and how many?

No do not put oscars with angels. A 55 is minimum size for an oscar. I have one with a JD i have some pics on my profile if you want to check them out. But get like one 3in oscar and one 3in Jack D and they will be good in there for about a year and a half or longer. I have a pleco in too.

I would like an Oscar or something big. Could they go with angels? I could also get another filter if it helps.

If you get an Oscar then that's all you can keep. They need a 55 gallon to themselves pretty much. Or you can get one that's small and grow it out but you'll need to get a bigger tank within a year or so

No do not put oscars with angels. A 55 is minimum size for an oscar. I have one with a JD i have some pics on my profile if you want to check them out. But get like one 3in oscar and one 3in Jack D and they will be good in there for about a year and a half or longer. I have a pleco in too.

Can JDs go with Angels? I was thinking of this stocking:
1 or 2 large cichlids
1Pleco
2 angels
Could that work? What "large cichlids" can go with angels?

I wouldnt try any large cichlids with angels but if you insist on doing that try blood red parrots. They are hybrids and stat about 9inches but sometimes you can get calm, peacfulish ones and get two of them and two angels but because of the long fins on angels most cichlids will tear them up.

I wouldnt try any large cichlids with angels but if you insist on doing that try blood red parrots. They are hybrids and stat about 9inches but sometimes you can get calm, peacfulish ones and get two of them and two angels but because of the long fins on angels most cichlids will tear them up.

Okay, so if I get another filter, and I get the Jack, Oscar, and pleco, what other fish could I get, if any?

It would be best if you get a fluval 306 canister filter if you have the money. Im getting one soon. If you get them small (the jack and oscar) like 4in each be careful because the oscar could turn the JD into a sissy thats what happened with me. Then about two months into it get a pleco to keep algae down. But no other fish that is maxing it out right there and possibly migr need to get a 75 but like i said, you can keep those fish im there for a while before needing to upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom