55 Transformation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4x54 watt T5 HO with 6700k bulbs. The reflectors are good too. I have 2 bulbs on for 4 hours, off for 2, and on for another 4 hours. The other bulbs are on for 2 hours, off for 4, and on for 2 more hours.

Also, why does it have to be distilled water? Also, I dn't have another gallon jug, but I can probably use an empty OJ jug as long as its been cleaned right? It's white.

Distilled water mixes better than tap water due to the lack of impurities.

The OJ jug should be fine to use, I would just use a 1:10 bleach to water mix to clean it out. Be sure not to use any soap on it.

You'll end up having to use 1ml to every 1 or 2 gallons with that lighting. And it has to be RO or distilled water. You don't have to mix it in a gallon jug. I have old Seachem fert bottles I saved, rinse them out really well and let them air dry. I use them with the smaller tanks and then have a couple 2L old Excel bottles I use for the larger tanks. You can mix any amount you want as long as it's a 1:1 ratio. As long as the OJ bottle is cleaned and completely dried it should be fine and as long as its opaque.

You'll end up having to use 1ml to every 1 or 2 gallons with that lighting. And it has to be RO or distilled water. You don't have to mix it in a gallon jug. I have old Seachem fert bottles I saved, rinse them out really well and let them air dry. I use them with the smaller tanks and then have a couple 2L old Excel bottles I use for the larger tanks. You can mix any amount you want as long as it's a 1:1 ratio. As long as the OJ bottle is cleaned and completely dried it should be fine and as long as its opaque.

So I will basically be at 2 ounces a day than? Thats about 60ml. I'd be more comfortable dosin 1 oz (~30ml). But I have to work up to that level than? Also my PPS Pro should be hear in 1-2 days as well.

As I said start at 1ml per 10g, then 1ml per 5g, and keep working up to the dose needed. I dose 9 ounces a day in my 220g. I have for way over a year with no ill effects. Also when you truly over dose with Glut your tank will cloud up shortly after adding it in and will be clear the next day. In a high light tank if you don't use CO2 you have to use enough Glut.

As I said start at 1ml per 10g, then 1ml per 5g, and keep working up to the dose needed. I dose 9 ounces a day in my 220g. I have for way over a year with no ill effects. Also when you truly over dose with Glut your tank will cloud up shortly after adding it in and will be clear the next day. In a high light tank if you don't use CO2 you have to use enough Glut.

Thats very helpful. Do I increase doses dailey or weekly or what? I dn't want to rush this too much.

I did it every couple of weeks. Then once I got up to 1ml per 2 gallons water I stayed there for about a month to see how the plants did.

PPS Pro is here, along with three 500 ml bottles. Now for mixing this stuff up! I'll wait for further input..

Mixed up all the PPS. Left out the magnesium in the Macro, dissolved as much as I could of the Micro mix, and put the Nitrates in another bottle. I think I dose 1 mL per 10 gallons? So ~5 mL of each, at 10 mL of glut right now, and I downed my lights to 3 hours on 2 off and then 3 on. I have the other 2 bulbs on for 1.5 hour increments to stimulate high light periods. Hopefully this will help combat my algae problem.

Yeah, it's best to add them before the lights come on, that way the nutrients are in the water before the plants even start to use them. I dose 10mL for glut as well.

Yeah I think I'm going to slowly work up to 30-40 ml of glut. Maybe even 50 with all my light.

Yeah I think I'm going to slowly work up to 30-40 ml of glut. Maybe even 50 with all my light.

I am going to agree that it's too much. Glut can cause issues at higher concentrations. I use 10ml / day in my medium light 55g and it's working amazingly well.

I've used Glut at levels as high as 1ml per gallon for almost 2 years in the 220 with no problems. Fish still spawn, snails and shrimp do fine. The amount of Glut needed for each tank varies depending on how high the lighting is, how many plants especially fast growing plants there are, and how high your bio-load is as the higher the bio-load the faster Glut breaks down. And what few people know is if you truly "overdose" your tank with Glut the water will cloud up telling you there is too much and the clouding will be gone the next day since Glut breaks down in solution within 12 to 24 hours. I've done a lot of testing with Glut and research.

I've used Glut at levels as high as 1ml per gallon for almost 2 years in the 220 with no problems. Fish still spawn, snails and shrimp do fine. The amount of Glut needed for each tank varies depending on how high the lighting is, how many plants especially fast growing plants there are, and how high your bio-load is as the higher the bio-load the faster Glut breaks down. And what few people know is if you truly "overdose" your tank with Glut the water will cloud up telling you there is too much and the clouding will be gone the next day since Glut breaks down in solution within 12 to 24 hours. I've done a lot of testing with Glut and research.

The Queen has spoken.

Back
Top Bottom