55g crawfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kjacks

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a regular 55g 4ft long tank.. I currently have 2 blue crawfish in a 20g h tank and really wanna get more bc they crack me up .. how many is it safe to keep in there though without alot of territory issues .. i wanna get mayb some i think they are dwarf orange or mayb some white ones.. i have a breeding pair now and would like to get more breeded pairs

A lot will depend on what type of crayfish you have already. They are either Clarkii or Alenie. Clarkii are larger and more aggressive. In your 55, I would not put over 5 animals and that is pushing it. I would be afraid that CPO-Dwarfs may end up an expensive meal for the blue crays. If you really want dwarfs, I would place a few sections of PVC, say 4" in length in that are of a small diameter keeping big crays out and dwarfs in. If you go with more larger crays, white Clarkii are cool and they also have red and orange.

I don't know what you feed them now, but I feed mine each a half of blanch pea everyother day. They also get a piece of shrimp pellet every week. Crayfish are pigs if you let them be. Keep in mind, they are constantly sifting and tasting the substraight. They eat a lot of bio layer you don't see. Mine also love to eat snails. I have an ongoing supply of pond, bladder and ramshorn snails in other tanks. These also help them maintain a good amount of calcium as they eat them shell and all. If you toss in say ten, some are bound to lay eggs and there is an ongoing food source.

Just incase you didn't know Cherax and other AU crayfish can not be mixed with American crayfish. The plauge zaps them everytime. Our crayfish don't get the disease.

I think they are the alleni is what i was told by a friend in another thread.. ill include a pic mayb you can tell..

I had ramshorn snails in there but they pigged out and ate all 20+ in less then a month with no eggs.. i feed the hikari crab cuisine a couple pellets each then have been feeding a small piece of repashy .. plus i add iodene to the water which doesnt really matter food wise.. lol

I dont have to have dwarf i just want orange or the hubby does anyway..

ForumRunner_20130706_080805.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130706_080846.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130706_080846.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 84
Thise look like Alleni to me. Clarkii tend to have much longer claw arms and claw size. The only non-dwarf orange cray I know of is the Clarkii. In a 55 you could get away with one or two. Just in case you didn't know, there are now white Allenis.

I did read if you mix the two, using slightly smaler pieces of PCV will keep the Clarkii out due to claw size. Can't tell you if it is true, but seems likely.

I'd recommend that they stay put. If you want something really cool get a blue Cherax Destructor. Thye can get 12" You may want to look into the other types of Cherax as they are typically larger and come in a ton of colors. If you want advise on where to get them just p.m. me.

I talke with the hubby and since they are his he decided if he couldnt get orange ones and mix them in the 55g without possibly hurting either pair not to get them... we are gonna try and find a trio of geophagus red head tapajos , a pleco that stays small and isnt really common, a small group of dither fish ..

Thanks for your help

Back
Top Bottom