55g dirted tank build advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mijo51380

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a free 55g tank and want to do a dirted tank any advice?

Make sure to use an organic potting soil or mix cap at 1:1 ratio with dirt and cap. At the moment that is all I can think of I know there is more.

Moisten the dirt before capping it, wait at least a month before adding fish. Even if the tank is cycled, the organics will still be breaking down and will cause fish death. I just ran into this this with my new dirted tank. :(

What kind of potting soil should I use, should I add anything to it?

I used miracle grow organic potting mix, planted and I had my fish back in the tank an hour after set up and I didn't have one death. Most of my fish were young fry at the time. I added laterite to the soil when I did it. I think the trick is to make sure that you rinse the soil well after adding it. This is called the wet start method. There is also the dry start method that is best suited to getting carpeting plants started. I don't know much about that one.
Here are my steps:
1. Add the soil
2. Moisten the soil. You want it moist not wet. Like a mud pie, not runny.
3. Add cap
4. There is a couple ways to do this next part I know people that have used news paper, paper towels, or a plate. I used the plate. Either way add crumpled newspaper, paper towels or upside down plate and slowly fill the tank. No need to treat the water or to match the temp at this point.
5. Drain the tank
6. Repeat steps 4-5 until the water runs clear. I did mine in 5 changes.
7. Place your hardscape rocks, driftwood and such
8. Fill the tank about 1/4 to 1/3 full with your warm de-chlorinated water and do your planting.
9. Finish filling the tank and get your filters and heater going.
Some people wait to add fish I didn't. Also depending on the dirt you use you may notice it leaching tannins. If it bothers you do a water change. I did do about 2-3 water changes a week for the first month or so. But if you still have to cycle it, you are all set to begin!

Thanks ill update to let you guys know how it's going

I used miracle grow organic potting mix from Home Depot for like $8/50lb bag. My 55g took less than 2 bags. My biggest point of advice, make sure there is NO water AT ALL in the tank when you add the dirt! I had about half an inch of water in mine and it was a mess!!! Had to take everything out and start over. I put 2" of soil, a thin layer of sand (so thin that in some spots you can see the soil) then 1/2"ish of gravel. I filled it, put the plants in, put the fish in, no problems.
In fact, Diana Walstad said you can add fish the same day you set the tank up. Go figure lol.
Good luck and post pics!

Moisten the dirt before capping it, wait at least a month before adding fish. Even if the tank is cycled, the organics will still be breaking down and will cause fish death. I just ran into this this with my new dirted tank. :(

Most people add the fish the same day without any issues, myself included. Maybe it was the soil you used? Or the depth of the cap?

I've done tons of dirted tanks and do a 1:1 ratio pretty much of soil to cap. I like a thick enough cap to keep dirt down when working in the tank. If you plant your substrate at least 80%, preferably more, with fast growing plants and stem plants your tank will most likely do a very fast silent cycle. On my 220g with all the dirt I had to use I added my 14 original angels on day 10 as my tank was cycled. I don't like to add fish the same day but that is just me. You can also do a fishless cycle with ammonia in a planted tank. There are options.

I used miracle gro organic garden soil with a white play sand cap. My set up order was this:

1) positioned driftwood attached to slate tiles in empty tank.

2) sprinkled some osmocote plus on the bottom

3) added roughly 1" of dirt

4) added 1/2" balls of red clay spaced out 2" apart

5) sprinkled a little more osmocote plus

6) added another 1" of dirt

7) moistened dirt. I put too much water in, so go slow. You want to be able to compress the dirt tightly without having standing water

8) positioned large plants

9) put 1-1/2" sand cap down

10) SLOWLY add water to about 1/4 of the way up

11) plant remaining plants. Make adjustments as needed

12) slowly fill tank the rest of the way.

13) add fish when ready. If you have cycled media you can do it right away. If you have to cycle your tank, do it now.

That's how I did it, and by no means is it the only way

I don't like to use potting soil with laterite because of the danger of metal toxicity. I have been using plain unwashed top soil, 1-1/2" to 2", with a 1/2" sand cap followed by a 1" gravel cap. But I am tearing down my 75 which was set up as a temporary tank and based on Walstad's advice I think I'll stick to a 1.5" soil layer with a 1" gravel cap. Haven't really decided if I'll do my usual sand layer although it shows strong evidence of iron and sulfide reduction. And I'm up in the air about bed depth; I've never had a problem with deep soil beds but apparently that is a significant danger. Maybe it is not as dangerous with top soil as with potting soil. Or maybe I've just been lucky.

I typically add fish in a couple days, as soon as the biofilm removes any turbidity.

Thanks everyone for your help going out after work to buy some black paint and the potting soil.I put the tank on hold so I could do all my Christmas shopping but going to start soon

Another option to paint (for the back I assume) is black vinyl they use for signs. I use that for the backs of my tanks. Cut roughly to size, make sure the tank glass is clean and free of dirt, spray with water, peel the back off the vinyl spray it with water as well, apply it to the tank (the water between allows to reposition it. You can add a couple of drops of dish soap to make it slipperier) and use a plastic flat edge to squeegee the water out. Then use a knife to trim the vinyl to the glass. Now the tanks ready to use and no need for dry time. Vinyl pulls off with minimal effort later. Cheers Ray

If you are planning to use gravel instead of sand, go with Eco-complete. It will be easier and not as messy as with regular gravel.

I got a sump for my tank I just have to clean it up. I just need my cap and I'm good to go.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388163183.186966.jpg

I'm getting ready to start my tank but I was going to do a test run in my basement to make sure there are no leaks and mark my water levels. How do I fill the tank and sump to the right levels to make sure it will not over fill if the power goes out

I'm getting ready to start my tank but I was going to do a test run in my basement to make sure there are no leaks and mark my water levels. How do I fill the tank and sump to the right levels to make sure it will not over fill if the power goes out

Leaving the pump off fill the main tank. The water should drain into the sump and turn off the flow when you're happy with the water level in the sump. Mark the water level in the sump while its running and be sure to never fill above that when the pump is running.

Well I cleaned the tank and the sump new filters filled it for a test run to make sure there were no leaks and everything worked. There were no leaks but the pump seems a little weak it's rated 700gph what size pump should I have?

Back
Top Bottom