55g tank/stand build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a link the other day to make DIY stands. Let me see if I can find it...

So the project is on hold at the moment came back from the doctors and ive come down with pneumonia so i wont be doing anything for a couple weeks

An update now that im better and my son is born back to the stand lol calked the place for the spools today they have one set aside at the moment ill be going next week to take a look if i dont like it i can go shop for a different one lol they're free. Happy Thanksgiving to all

Did some work on the 55 since i got off early and had time to myself got the back painted

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121121_154311.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_154311.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 99
  • ForumRunner_20121121_154332.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_154332.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20121121_154354.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_154354.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 97
I've built two stands. 1 was for a 55 gallon. The other was for a 125 gallon. They are basically the same build. Made from 2x4's. Not to scale. Drawing shows top design and cut. Same is used for bottom. Design was copy of factory stand for 125 tank that used 1x2's. I used 2x4's in my build. Also have side and rear paneling inside panels. Put together using drywall screws that are countersunk.

OvzVvQL9KwZuks914wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==
Top image is top and bottom
Lower images is front view.
Lower image is back view.
Lower left and right are doors
Lower center are shelves

As for the idea of using a spool. I like the idea, but I would go about it differently. I would use the round sides of the spool as top and bottom. Would make a stand as above and then add the round top and bottom. The tank itself would rest on the stand and the round tops are there for decor. You would then add the curved door(s) to the front.

NOTE: My stand is bolted to the wall in two places. One in the left cabinet. One in the right cabinet. This baby is rock solid and will not tip over.

OvzVvQL9KwZuks914wAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 111
Wroberson said:
I've built two stands. 1 was for a 55 gallon. The other was for a 125 gallon. They are basically the same build. Made from 2x4's. Not to scale. Drawing shows top design and cut. Same is used for bottom. Design was copy of factory stand for 125 tank that used 1x2's. I used 2x4's in my build. Also have side and rear paneling inside panels. Put together using drywall screws that are countersunk.

Top image is top and bottom
Lower images is front view.
Lower image is back view.
Lower left and right are doors
Lower center are shelves

As for the idea of using a spool. I like the idea, but I would go about it differently. I would use the round sides of the spool as top and bottom. Would make a stand as above and then add the round top and bottom. The tank itself would rest on the stand and the round tops are there for decor. You would then add the curved door(s) to the front.

NOTE: My stand is bolted to the wall in two places. One in the left cabinet. One in the right cabinet. This baby is rock solid and will not tip over.

Good to hear youve made them rock solid that is something i couldnt stress even more do to 1: safety 2: ive got little ones one 22 month old and one new born little over a day old now. The round flat sides will be the top and bottom with one side trimmed a straight to sit flush with the wall there will be supporting struts in-between the top and bottom where the tank will sit for extra strength then the doors one rounded shelf in the middle for storage then the doors using steel banding (to match the circular shape) and cedar 1x3's for the doors once that's together hinges will be placed on both sides then with latches in the middle the doors will swing open basically double doors

Paint dried all up now took the entire can to get a nice even thick coating my lights are standard t8 lights idk the ratings at the moment ill get new bulbs when the time comes but will these lights grow plants? Thoughts so far its a slow work in progress due to the holidays and money but if i do it right i think ill be up and running after the new years at least ill be cycling by then hopefully lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121121_224130.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_224130.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 95
  • ForumRunner_20121121_224151.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_224151.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ForumRunner_20121121_224218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_224218.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20121121_224238.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121121_224238.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 79
jetajockey said:
The basic t8s will probably be okay with low light plants but honestly if you are going to go buy bulbs for it I'd just fork out a bit more and get a new fixture.

I will look into light fixtures i dont plan on co2 right away or real demanding plants since this is going to be my first real planted tank im taking it in steps oh and side question is there away to change the title of a thread?

The thing with building a stand instead of buying one is that you can save money. When I built the 125g stand, I also bought a miter saw, so it was like getting a stand with a free miter saw. Which I have used since to frame the walls in my room.

Good luck. It's going to be awesome!

Wroberson said:
The thing with building a stand instead of buying one is that you can save money. When I built the 125g stand, I also bought a miter saw, so it was like getting a stand with a free miter saw. Which I have used since to frame the walls in my room.

Good luck. It's going to be awesome!

Thank you and miter saws are handy lol im a maintenance man so ive got pretty much any tools i need at hand lol

Ok kindve an update since timing conflicts (they close before i get off work) are in the way of getting the spool i need that is on hold unfortunately i am bummed about that oh well eventually i will get that spool and build it lol im now just on the hunt for a good solid sturdy dresser that will hold the weight and ill fix that up to make it look good plus the drawers will be a helpful storage place

time for an update, sorry its been awhile with the new baby and the holidays things got busy lol, well the idea of the spool stand wont work now since i am having the 55g in my bedroom instead of the living room where my 125g is now is. Well after some discussion with the wife we found a good spot and used our night stands to make a stand for the 55g

ForumRunner_20130110_235204.jpg

Using the night stands was the wifes idea im so happy she is willing to help with some of this instead of being bleh lol couple more pics what do you guys think oh and got my little helper kind of lol

ForumRunner_20130110_235351.jpg

ForumRunner_20130110_235410.jpg

So for filters i was thinking about 2 aquaclear 70s any thoughts or opinions on this model or suggestions for other models would much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom