55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mmmm.. might be true when cycling but I feed twice a day & have great readings on 3 community tanks. It s the high light of they re day, we keep em in little confined spaces, out of their natural enviroment, seems mean to then not feed them on a regular schedule.

Fish in the wild go for days straight without eating. A daily feeding schedule is great for them.

Fish in the wild go for days straight without eating. A daily feeding schedule is great for them.

I feed my fish twice a day once in the morning and once at night you can do what you want and starve your fish but dont go telling a beginner bad advice not cool...

Food for thought tho (get it? Food? I crack myself up). That whole ' in the wild ' thing always gets me. Cuz how removed from the wild are our fish? I m not experienced enough with fish to broach that but I know horse owners that cite that theory all the time & our horses are so far removed from the wild that they d perish very quickly if 'set free' & my horse was all about being fed twice a day. He d even look for me & neigh really loud if he was too cold & wet & his blanket wasn t on!

I feed my fish twice a day once in the morning and once at night you can do what you want and starve your fish but dont go telling a beginner bad advice not cool...

If the fish were "starving" as you say then wouldn't they die if they were being fed every other day for 6 weeks straight? As long as the fish don't have sunken bellies then they are being fed the correct amount. This is even more apparent in salt water where it isn't uncommon to feed fish every other day on a constant basis and people have been doing this for years straight for the same fish.

But please, if you don't believe me make a new thread on this forum asking about a feeding schedule and see what the majority of people think.

Food for thought tho (get it? Food? I crack myself up). That whole ' in the wild ' thing always gets me. Cuz how removed from the wild are our fish? I m not experienced enough with fish to broach that but I know horse owners that cite that theory all the time & our horses are so far removed from the wild that they d perish very quickly if 'set free' & my horse was all about being fed twice a day. He d even look for me & neigh really loud if he was too cold & wet & his blanket wasn t on!

A surprisingly large number of fish that we keep are caught in the wild. Large numbers of plecos, oto cats, and siamese algae eaters to name a few. Also, almost all saltwater fish are wild caught. While the selectively bred fancy fish would die a horrendous death if they were in the wild, I don't believe many are terribly far removed from their wild ancestors.

A surprisingly large number of fish that we keep are caught in the wild. Large numbers of plecos, oto cats, and siamese algae eaters to name a few. Also, almost all saltwater fish are wild caught. While the selectively bred fancy fish would die a horrendous death if they were in the wild, I don't believe many are terribly far removed from their wild ancestors.

Good to know.

If the fish were "starving" as you say then wouldn't they die if they were being fed every other day for 6 weeks straight? As long as the fish don't have sunken bellies then they are being fed the correct amount. This is even more apparent in salt water where it isn't uncommon to feed fish every other day on a constant basis and people have been doing this for years straight for the same fish.

But please, if you don't believe me make a new thread on this forum asking about a feeding schedule and see what the majority of people think.

As i said when cycling feed every other day but after cycling feed 1-2 times a day

I read somewhere that fish need fed just as mush a people 3 times a day. But I think I'll just do 2 so I don't use a lot if food.

I read somewhere that fish need fed just as mush a people 3 times a day. But I think I'll just do 2 so I don't use a lot if food.

That's not true at all. Fish can and will go days and even weeks without eating because that is how it is in the wild. I feed mine a bit everyday if you enjoy feeding a lot and a lot of cleaning and more of a mess and want them to get bigger then fine or every other day depends. And I have been breeding fish for three years ok so when you feed fry it is many several times a day because there Stomachs are so small and don't hold food for that long it passes right through compared to a adult fish. So for fry not a lot but just frequent , feed them separate than adults.

Yes, and if feeding once daily was starving the fish like you said then how is feeding every other day good?

As i said before you feed your fish every other day when cycling because you dont have alot of bacteria in your tank!

You could feed your fish 10 times a day while cycling and be fine as long as you are diligent about your water parameters.

You are arguing that feeding fish once daily is insufficient.

You are also saying to feed once every other day when cycling a tank, which is 1/4 the amount of food you are arguing is the minimum to feed.

You have 2 seperate conflicting arguments and are trying to defend them both.

Sorry for letting this thread get soo off track. I would suggest that you make a separate thread about feeding fish and get advice from more than just 2 or 3 people.

When you take the risk of feeding your fish 10 times a day you could easily kill all of them during cycling great advice

It's not bad advice. My 20 gallon tank has been up since march, which is going on 5 months now, and I have always been feeding once every 2 days! Have you ever tried feeding every other day? If you haven't, then don't say it's bad!!! I have only lost 2 fish, and they both had a disease when I got them.

Jay jay, please listen. You can feed your fish 3 times a day, or once every 3 days, they will be just fine unless you see obvious signs of bad health. If you feed them more often you will just do water changes more often.

When you take the risk of feeding your fish 10 times a day you could easily kill all of them during cycling great advice

:banghead:

The person who said that was just exaggerating!!!

And is it just me, or do you always have the risk of killing all of your fish when fish in cycling.

As a matter of fact I was raising fry at one point feeding them every hour I was awake and at home (10 - 16 times a day) and I siphoned the food out twice a day. This was on a cycling tank and I never had issues. My oldest fish is right around 4.5 years old at the moment and gets fed every other day. He is still fat and happy.

Back
Top Bottom