55gal Cichlid tank - about to stock, how's my list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrickyTerp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my 55 running empty for about a week, then I dropped a small goldfish in to continue the cycle for about another week. Everything seems fine, the numbers are good and the goldfish still perky so sometime early next week I plan to stock the tank with the following:

All of these will be small fish when they're purchased (1"-2")

2-3 Managuense
1-2 Oscars/Jack Dempseys
1 silver cat
1-2 pleco

I know the very knowledgable peeps around here can critique this list with the future in mind. It's been several (many) years since I've kept cichlids, so I'd like to get some guidance. Obviously the Managuenses will be the centerpiece for the tank, but I would like to have a variety in the tank and figure starting with babies will allow for this.

Thanks!

Personally I like your selection TrickyTerp. I would only get 1 pleco though.

The likelihood is that that many, and those fish will eventually outgrow a 55g. Starting with young fish does give you several options. Each fish will be able to claim its own territory without too much aggression. You will have to observe them as they mature to see if one or more should be given its own quarters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom