55Gal predator tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I've heard that too but don't really see it when feeding the predators at work haha. They swallow all the fish whole. Almost every predator. But yes I will get a nice strong BB before adding my first fish... I still don't know what my first fish will be.....

Yeah, cuz you're marveling at the predators eating and watching them do that. No one really marvels at them pooping it out and watches that part!! Lol. :D

Yeah. That's true haha. I'm also thinking... If possible maybe running 2 skimmers till I upgrade.

I just dosed ammonia to at least 4 probably around 6 right now. So we'll see what the ammonia and nitrites look like tomorrow :p I'm really hoping my cycle is almost over.

I'm ready to start stocking and enjoying! Haha

What order would I add all those fish? Just so I can add the first 4 then ill probably wait to add the others till after I upgrade.

Would adding the angler and the eel first, be a bad idea? Those are the 2 of my stock list that my lfs has right now.

I wanna get it soooo bad!

Attachments

• image-48194726.jpg
    image-48194726.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 101
I wanna get it soooo bad!

So ugly he's cute! Is he trained to eat good? I hear they can be hard to get to eat.

I don't see why adding them first would be a bad thing. They will be your rock dwellers, so they probably won't bully your other fish when you add them. Of course- wait for someone else's opinion. Cause in just guessing it would be ok.

What order would I add all those fish? Just so I can add the first 4 then ill probably wait to add the others till after I upgrade.

Would adding the angler and the eel first, be a bad idea? Those are the 2 of my stock list that my lfs has right now.

No problem with adding them first. They're not technically aggressive. Just predators. So long as your future additions aren't too small, it's fine.

I'm to the point in my cycle where I have to re-dose ammonia every 24 hours and I'm waiting on nitrites to drop. They're slightly less dark then yesterday. :) it's getting close!!! I can't stand the excitement! I haven't even found out how well my skimmer works cause I read its best to wait till after the cycle to turn it on.

As of right before dosing ammonia my parameters are:
Ph-8
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-2-5
Nitrate-20

Man my stock list keeps changing and I just need a 200 gallon tank! I want a porcupine puffer now and my lfs is encouraging me to get it and bring it back when it outgrows my tank then get another small one :p anyone see any reason why not to?

Not sure what you plan to have as far as flow in this tank . You need very very little flow for an angler That is another reason they should be kept in tanks by themselves.

Idk. I figure ill have some flow. But probably just enough with the power head pointing right at the surface. Since the angler sticks more to the sandbed he should be fine right? Also... I just ran into a 20 gal tank. Would he be fine in a 20? I might just put him in that under my 55 sense I have an open stand.

Just to give you an idea on how low the flow needs to be . I'm only have 600 gph in my 40 b angler tank . A wartskin would probably be better off in a 20 l than mixed in the 55 IMO since you want good flow to remove the detritus from the other high waste fish ( eel and lion). My angler even though I only had him a few days is always perched on the rock not so much the sand.

Okay. Well then I might be gettin some rock and sand all live and trying to do a quick cycle haha. :p that solves part of my "room" issue

Lions also prefer low flow. I plan to get a black longspine sea urchin to help with algae and detritus. My only flow will probably be from my return pump. I hear they eat like CRAZY.

I wanted to get a long spine but then I can't let the nitrate levels go up at all. :p and I will have low flow.

I wanted to get a long spine but then I can't let the nitrate levels go up at all. :p and I will have low flow.

Well they're not super expensive. I'm going to see what my nitrates are at once the messy fish are in and see if I can manage enough water changes to keep them pretty low. We'll see.

Khij, your making me want a predator tank now. Your stock list is something along the lines of what I was thinking. I want a lion, bad. They are so interesting to me. I cant put a lion in with my clowns, 6 line & royal though. :( lets see some pics!

Well I don't got anything but a cycling tank right now but I'm soooo excited to start stocking! I'm hoping within the next couple days my nitrites will start to drop.

Back
Top Bottom