6.6 gallon bookshelf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieKlein

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I've been looking for a small tank for my desk and I think I found it! Its a 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank from petco. It is 2 feet long, 8 inches deep, and I think 8 tall. I was wondering, because it is so long, if I could fit a school of 5 nano fish- cpd, ember tetra or something else cool- and a betta or small centerpiece- honey gourami? I also wanna try my hand at a neat aqua scape. I'm thinking half of the tank being white sand, with a couple various sized grey rocks and suck, and the other side a moss carpet, driftwwod, and a few plants. Anyone have a picture of a similar idea?

I think you would only have room for a betta OR a small school of nano fish.
Honey gouramis need at least 10-15 gallons :)

The stock you mentioned should work in that tank. It is quite long and has a lot of surface area and swimming space for the volume.

I have one but plan on using as a QT. It is plastic so be careful; it scratches easily. I used a magnetic scrubber for acrylic tanks. The stock filter is an unknown brand; I did find Tetra brand cartridges that sort of fit it. The lid forces you to run the filter on the left side. The stock light emitted a smell (like B.O.); I replaced it with a generic box style T-8 light. Nice little tank. And it fits on a bookshelf.

Instead of a honey gourami how about maybe a sparkling gourami?

Thanks for the tank review! I'll still need a heater, but a school of galaxy rasbora, a sparkling gourami Maybe, and some rcs?

Hello!

I think you have a good idea of what you want to do. Right now I am in somewhat of a similar situation as I have a 10 gallon which I am having a hard time deciding what I want to stock it with!

As far as your setup, I believe that you could do more than 5 nano fish. Maybe start with that number and then add some more over time. I would say like 10 would be fine in there if the tank has been properly cycled and has a lot of biological bacteria.

I'm glad to hear that you want to do plants in the tank. If I were you I would probably get a good substrate like eco complete or flourite black sand and then go from there. You could then do anything from like an iwagumi with rocks and foreground plants such as glosso, dwarf hairgrass, dwarf baby tears, etc. Or you could just make it planted and have a variety of plants in the tank. I think the iwagumi might be cool, because due to the short height of the tank, stem plants may grow pretty fast and not get very tall before you have to cut them. I bet it could still be done in there, but maybe and iwagumi would be a better bet, if you have the right setup for it.

Going back to fish, you could do some smaller fish such as cpds (celestial pearl danios) also known as galaxy rasboras, chili rasboras, or ember tetras. Any of those would probably work well together. If you have tiny fish like that, you may also be able to introduce some shrimp into the tank to help keep it clean and interesting! I have not tried the combo together though so use caution! Also I think there might be smaller gouramis like chocolates or sparkling gouramis. I just read about sparkling gouramis and it seems like people reccomend a 10 gallon, however you could probably do a pair in there with a smaller school like 5 or 6 of the micro fish mentioned above, as long as you keep track of your water and make sure that you do regular water changes and that your system can handle it.

I hope that I helped, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask and I can try to answer them :dance:

Have a great day and good luck with the tank. Hopefully you can post some pictures or maybe do a journal about the tank so we can see what you decide! :fish2:

Wait, are you saying I could do a small centerpiece, and 2 schools, or 2 schools or 1 and a center piece? I'd like white sand, or black, I think white would look good. Anyways, what are some plant that are short but get wider?

Wait, are you saying I could do a small centerpiece, and 2 schools, or 2 schools or 1 and a center piece? I'd like white sand, or black, I think white would look good. Anyways, what are some plant that are short but get wider?

If you are using the stock lights then I'd stick with crypts (wendtii, undulata).

What do you think of this? I really like this lyretail killi!

Attachments

• image-3290580170.jpg
    image-3290580170.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1997102036.jpg
    image-1997102036.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 73
Scarlet badis and clown killies are some of my other favorite nano fish, although both require a little extra in their care.

I really like scarlet badis. I've been reserching them for a while, and was thinkin about doin a tank with 5 or 6 of them, but it sounds like their hard to take care of... I'm thinkin of a lyretail killi or small gourami. All reccommendations are welcome colorful!!

Would this work?

Attachments

• image-4270322714.jpg
    image-4270322714.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3483982386.jpg
    image-3483982386.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 50
Someone help?

If I did a dwarf puffer is there anything else I could do? What about bumble bee gobys, killifish, or scarlet badis? Please help

Back
Top Bottom