6 gallon Fluval edge - Need ideas/inspiration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YaBuddyHuddie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone! It's been so long since I've been on here. I actually got out of the hobby for a bit but I couldn't stay away. So tomorrow I'm buying a 6 gallon fluval edge from a guy. I just wanted to see what everyone thought about stocking options, aquascaping, plant variety, etc. I'm open to all ideas!

Welcome back to the hobby. Some endlers would be nice. I've seen a small edge with those fish and it was beautiful.

Not really into Endlers...I've kept them before and ended up giving them away.

How about chili rasboras maybe? And for scape ideas the centerpiece can be a small piece of driftwood with an anubias nana on it? Or you could do just a betta or a puffer or a pair of scarlet badis.

Are you thinking high light or low light plants? Some dwarf sag or staurogyne repens (both usually foreground plants) could look nice in the back of the tank (since the tank is smallish).

Tell me more about chili rasboras, I've never seen them in my LFS or anywhere. But I'm sure they could get me some. I was thinking I'd wanna do a carpet of moss. He's selling me some Eco complete too. I'd like to put sand on top of that, a white sand that is. I love the beach look. I was thinking about making a path down the middle with the sand and literally a beach of sand in the front maybe 2-3 inches back and all the way across the tank. Then behind it and on both sides of the path that comes through the middle, grow a carpet of moss (which I will need guidance, because I've never done it) then I will grow other various plants on a piece of driftwood I'd planned to put in. I'd like to buy a few bigger rocks and scatter them randomly. The main reason for the carpet of moss is because I plan to keep cherry shrimp. I was thinking about this stock:

1 male halfmoon dragonscale betta
5-6 celestial pearl danios
Cherry shrimp colony
POSSIBLY 2-3 dwarf cories. Honestly this last spot is open to suggestion. Some may say leave it out but I'd really like to add at least one more thing. No snails.

Sorry for the length and my treacherous attempt at describing the picture I see in my head haha

I'm gonna try to bring this back to life. I got the tank and plan to get cherry shrimp and 6 celestial pearls Saturday. I tested the water and all the readings are good. I ordered some dwarf sag but so far that's it. I'd like to do a carpet but don't exactly know how...I'll post pics soon!

You should really check out 'pecktec' on YouTube, he has about a dozen Fluval Edges / Specs.

He also has videos showing how he decorates them from substrate up.

They're quite interesting to watch, even if you have no interest in Edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404003228.968817.jpg

Did a little scaping. I'm certainly not the best but I've got some rock arrangements in there that will be very accommodating to a shrimp colony. My LFS is in the process of moving so they have like no selection ):

I did buy one Amano and two cherries. One cherry died on the way home. The other is well, and she's berried.

I've got various ludwigia, cryptocoryne, and anubias along with a moss ball and moss tied to a small piece of driftwood.

So since I can't get the celestial pearls I don't know what to do. I'm still open to stocking suggestions and would love to hear them.

Chilies are great little fish, or so I've heard. They are smaller than CPDs and are more active/less shy. I don't know much more than that so you will need to do more research yourself.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Ah, found your edge thread! I like your plant selections, very cool with the light substrate.

How's your water? If you're on the softer side you might consider ember tetras, really pretty tiny tetras. I love them but am not willing to do the RO water to make them work in my tank. I like sparkling gouramis as well, but I'm not sure if the small airspace would be an issue with them like it has been with for some people and bettas in this tank.

I'm in debate about dwarf cories in my edge too, I have two types in my 29g and I can't decide if I want to try moving some into the edge or not. I like my habrosus best of the two species I have.

If you want oddball type fish, what about scarlet badis? I hear they're pretty fun little fish.

Following your thread now too.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good to have you aboard, TXaggie. I'm actually thinking about cherry barbs as well, probably 3 males. I know this goes against schooling principles but from what I understand cherry barbs aren't very dependent on schools. Thought they'd go well nicely in the tank and I've always wanted them. It's just an idea for now though, as I ordered 12 fire red shrimp on eBay and I'm expecting them this week. I'll let them get settled in an acclimated before I add any fish. Bad news btw...I can't seem to spot my Amano. Haven't seen him for two days. Anyway I did a little rearranging and this is what the tank looks like now. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404235008.238501.jpg

I like it with more plants along the R side, looks nice. Hope your shrimp do well for you, those fire reds are stunning!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yes I do plan to add a bit more to the right side. It is lopsided. Thanks for the good will about the shrimp, it'll be my first batch of fire reds! Fish selection is really baffling me though.

Yeah, I feel like with the edge you have to be so cautious about overstocking since it has such a small top opening. The cherry barbs seem like cool fish, not sure how they would do with restricted swimming space.

Here's some other nano fish that I've been recommended by others on the forum, most of them I haven't kept but you can find info on seriouslyfish.com

Emerald rasboras
Scarlet badis
Pair of peacock gudgeons (I just got a pair of these for my 29 g and they're really awesome looking!)
Psudomugli gertrudae - spotted blue eye rainbows - (these guys are really amazing but I lost a whole school of them to a fungal disease early in my aquarium keeping, and they're expensive at least where I'm at.)
Sundadanio axelrodi
Here's some other species with some pics:
http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

My 29 g is mostly nano fish so I've done lots of online window shopping and agonizing over tiny fish to keep. :). Harder water does seem to complicate the selection as well!

Edit: cherry barbs seem to be on more than one list of species for nano tanks and somewhere I read they do well in pairs. I figure I better really like the fish I put in this tank because I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to catch them to move them!

None of those are readily available around me and shipping is expensive. I've already dropped a little on the shrimp so I think I may stay in a bit of a budget with fish. I was thinking 3 male cherry barbs and a betta? Just afraid of fun nipping.

Cherry shrimp came in yesterday! Here's some of them feasting on a wafer. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404423079.064014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom