60 gallon; 3 tier; waterfall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really love that tank you built. It's beautiful and unique and I never get bored seeing it. And I hope you don't mind but I saved a couple of your pics. and shared them with my family. Who by the way were floored by it. My father, a retired engineer, was completely impressed with the mechanics of it.

My mind has officially been blown. (y)

Just thought of a weird idea. It would be awesome to take your design and instead of separating the 3 tanks. Have all 3 be connected and build in a little conveyor belt/escalator on the sides so the fish can ride down the water fall and go back up on the conveyor. It looks cool in my head anyway. haha

Someday....

Tarkus2112 said:
My mind has officially been blown. (y)

Just thought of a weird idea. It would be awesome to take your design and instead of separating the 3 tanks. Have all 3 be connected and build in a little conveyor belt/escalator on the sides so the fish can ride down the water fall and go back up on the conveyor. It looks cool in my head anyway. haha

Someday....

It could be done just drill out on the sides for clear PVC pipe and when it's full of water the fish can swim back to the top

But I think the purpose of this build was to keep fish that don't traditionally get along or different temp requirements I can't remember

It could be done just drill out on the sides for clear PVC pipe and when it's full of water the fish can swim back to the top

But I think the purpose of this build was to keep fish that don't traditionally get along or different temp requirements I can't remember

Yep, that is the idea. He wanted to have fish that can't be in the same tank, be side by side.
But he could always build another one that does that instead.

WendiDell said:
Yep, that is the idea. He wanted to have fish that can't be in the same tank, be side by side.
But he could always build another one that does that instead.

...And we probably will!

You would have to scrap the waterfall for that. You would need all the tanks level or the water would just flow down the pipe instead of the waterfall. In order to have multi-level tanks directly connected so water can flow back and forth, the lower one would need to be sealed and reinforced for the extra pressure. Anything I can think of that would force the tunnel to be "one way" would be very stressful on the fish physicaly.

I think the elevator idea might be possible, especially if you have fish that enjoy turbulant waters.

I probably won't upgrade the waterfall tank with a elevator or any other such concept because I think deepseven is right. It'd just empty from top to bottom.

However, that doesn't mean I can't have a second unique tank!

Yes bubble they can and do jump tanks, but only down.

JustinKScott said:
I probably won't upgrade the waterfall tank with a elevator or any other such concept because I think deepseven is right. It'd just empty from top to bottom.

I think a whirlpool tank would be cool. But the fish might get dizzy. :p

maxwellag said:
I think a whirlpool tank would be cool. But the fish might get dizzy. :p

There has got to be a way to make a constant jump tank... it would have to be a circle. Maybe the highest waterfall would have a powerhead pumping water to the top, and making water pour out of both sides of the edge of the tank. Then it would be a circle. But it would have to be a very powerful powerhead.

What about a dome....but with like a space not in the water in the middle for u to be surrounded by ur fish?

JustinKScott said:

O yeah that's what I ment a totally different tank but I would try to enjoy this one for a while:)

Upgraded the filter from the g6 to an Fx5; flow rate is nice and steady flow. SOO much quieter now. No splashing, no more wet floors.

Attachments

• image-553362341.jpg
    image-553362341.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 258
  • image-478012009.jpg
    image-478012009.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 273
  • image-3990914002.jpg
    image-3990914002.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 270
T-man02 said:
What is your plant in there I would love to get some for my tank ?

Just some fakes from Petco. Look @ fluval chi/edge accessories.

Back
Top Bottom