60 gallon; 3 tier; waterfall tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Woke up this morning to find my perfect white sand has fish waste all over!! Grrr.

Other than the obvious (gravel vac a lot), any recommendations on keeping it clean?

I have one Cory in one tank, but seems insufficient. I could add more cories and/or bamboo shrimp.. (I have 5+ of each in other tanks) Or I could get that Eheim battey powered vac... (a bit spendy$)

Cories are much better in small schools...some recommend 4, but from what I've read and heard 5+ is best :) maybe try ghost shrimp too! They are great for bioload (and they are cheap)

I wouldn't do bamboo shrimp they are filter feeders so they filter stuff to eat out if the water. If you are going to get shrimp to work on cleaning up the bottom go with ghost shrimp.

A fan helps sleep too

Fans cause white noise which has a calming affect. But if you have any allergies a fan will exacerbate the symptoms making breathing difficult. I don't know about anyone else but if my head is all stopped up and I can't breath then I can't sleep either.
With the sounds of a waterfall you aren't exposed to any allergens. You just get the tranquility.

WendiDell said:
Fans cause white noise which has a calming affect. But if you have any allergies a fan will exacerbate the symptoms making breathing difficult. I don't know about anyone else but if my head is all stopped up and I can't breath then I can't sleep either.
With the sounds of a waterfall you aren't exposed to any allergens. You just get the tranquility.

;) and I thought I was building a fish tank!

Lol sorry didn't mean to distract from your thread Justin and Wendi very true, although a waterfall increases the humidity a fan does not :). There are positives and negatives to both.

JustinKScott said:
;) No worries! I'm just glad everyone loves the new tank.

O I don't love it. I really really wanna steal it from u! By all means of action! I WILL Obtain the tank from u! And marry it and have kids. Hahahahahhaha I'm not a creepy person at all

It is an inspiration, my only regret is that If I ever do one like that I will have to credit the idea to you!

I had recently purchased the battery powered devise you described and I wouldn't recommend it with sand.... I tried it and it just sucked up sand and after about 30 seconds the impeller jammed. I got it working again and brought it to my friend's house because he has gravel and it did a great job at catching solid waste but the fine particles got out and polluted the tank with what looked like murky water for a while. I figured I had no use for It so I gave it to a different buddy and he has been complain that it jams every so often and you have to replace the batteries less than every 4 hours of use. I don't recommend it hope you take this into consideration. Btw your tank is boss.

JoeyGGGG said:
I had recently purchased the battery powered devise you described and I wouldn't recommend it with sand.... I tried it and it just sucked up sand and after about 30 seconds the impeller jammed. I got it working again and brought it to my friend's house because he has gravel and it did a great job at catching solid waste but the fine particles got out and polluted the tank with what looked like murky water for a while. I figured I had no use for It so I gave it to a different buddy and he has been complain that it jams every so often and you have to replace the batteries less than every 4 hours of use. I don't recommend it hope you take this into consideration. Btw your tank is boss.

Thx for the review... I really was considering plinking down $65 for the thing.

O I don't love it. I really really wanna steal it from u! By all means of action! I WILL Obtain the tank from u! And marry it and have kids. Hahahahahaha I'm not a creepy person at all

I thought I was in awe of his tank, but to :flowers: marry it & have it's children?:ROFLMAO: that's a bit much even for me and I've been trying to figure out how to temporarily date someone who could build one like it for me.

No problem wouldn't want someone to waste money that could go to a new fish/fish tank;)

Great tank love it my question is is there any think like this on the market ? If not I would get a patent n sell this idea to either juwel or other aquarium designers you could get some money for this idea

That is an inspiring design and execution. Wow. Thanks for sharing with us! You could make some bucks off the design alone. Great job

WendiDell said:
I thought I was in awe of his tank, but to :flowers: marry it & have it's children?:ROFLMAO: that's a bit much even for me and I've been trying to figure out how to temporarily date someone who could build one like it for me.

Hahahahahhahaha!! That is so true! :) and will so work!

Very cool one LFS here has something very similar that they sell plants out of.
+3 Kung Fu points, congratulations!

I have always wanted to make one of these but never really knew how to go about it. Now I do! You have a completely stunning tank!

Well we got some bad news tonight. The bottom of the bottom tank cracked while we were @ work.

The filter stopped and the top two tanks remained filled as per design.

The bottom tank drained to a few inches when my wife arrived home. All inhabitants were transferred to the top tanks angry but unharmed.

So the tank has been disassembled until we have the chance to rebuild (hopefully) this weekend.

It's still unclear as to why the bottom failed. The crack completely traversed the bottom width-wise.

Back
Top Bottom