60 gallon cube build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I figured I;d put my two cents in here. lol

I tried a pretty large fuge with my 125g and to be honest, never saw any changes, either good or bad. From all that I have researched, and it was alot of reading, a fuge would have to be significantly larger than those typically used in order to see results. Some sites have recommended 10% of your tank volume as a starting point.
Now, I know alot of people on this forum advocate them but in my experience they dont really do much. Unless of course you have a tank dedicated for that purpose exclusively.

Dont mean to rain on your parade here, just playing devils advocate I guess and wanted to share what I know.

I figured I;d put my two cents in here. lol

I tried a pretty large fuge with my 125g and to be honest, never saw any changes, either good or bad. From all that I have researched, and it was alot of reading, a fuge would have to be significantly larger than those typically used in order to see results. Some sites have recommended 10% of your tank volume as a starting point.
Now, I know alot of people on this forum advocate them but in my experience they dont really do much. Unless of course you have a tank dedicated for that purpose exclusively.

Dont mean to rain on your parade here, just playing devils advocate I guess and wanted to share what I know.

So they dont help that much? When i was at the lfs i saw one of their 180s they stuffed a bunch of live rock rubble in there overflow and i could see the anphipods swimming around inside. Could i do that? I only have 2-3 inches of space back there though so i will have to check if it could fit. Also on LA fishguy i saw that he put live rock inside the sump, no fuge. He set it right under the filter sock and in the return section. Would that serve the same purpose?

Placing live rock will boost the amount of beneficial bacteria your system will have so its never a bad idea, unless of course particulate matter and debris get caught up on those rocks. lol Then youre adding nitrates. I would say add the live rock or base rock to where you can and go from there. :) I went the whole macro algae route, live sand and live rock too and while I did get some pods living in there it wasnt that much of a colony really. Are you intending on getting a mandarin or some other pod only eating critter?

I found two really nice pieces of dry rock at the lfs, i think i will just get those two, they both way 35-40lbs, i think i will be set after those. So 80lbs of live rock, how much live sand? Is 40lbs enough? After all the length and width of the tank are only 24 inches.

I found two really nice pieces of dry rock at the lfs, i think i will just get those two, they both way 35-40lbs, i think i will be set after those. So 80lbs of live rock, how much live sand? Is 40lbs enough? After all the length and width of the tank are only 24 inches.

Should be enough. Personally, I like the look of a 2" sand bed. Not sure how much 40lbs would give you though. Also, it depends if you plan on getting any burrowing fish.

Got a 5 stage chloramine BRS. RODI unit at the lfs, and some fish and alot of corals. Now i can start progress on the tank! The guys at the lfs is gonna help us with the plumbing, tank should be up in a week

Last edited:
Got a 5 stage BRS. RODI unit at the lfs, and some fish and alot of corals. Now i can start progress on the tank! The guys at the lfs is gonna help us with the plumbing, tank should be up in a week

Cool, Can't wait to see it up and running!

Also was it necessary to get the chloramine unit? I have chloramines in my tap and wanted to be on the safe side, but could i just have used prime?

I'm no expert on RO/DI systems as I haven't invested in one yet myself, so I'll let someone else chime in to help you on that.

Regarding the chloramine, I mean hey why not right? It saves you a step and makes the water safe from the get go.

I agree, if you have chloramines then best to get them at the water making stage. :)

I flushed mine for about 10-15 minutes or so. As for replacing filters, I would grab a real cheap tds meter from ebay and you can see when the tds creeps up, thats when you replace the filters. You dont have to replace the membrane very frequently, maybe every 2-3 years. I replace mine around the 6 month mark regardless of tds reading. BRS sells the 2 carbons and sediment filter for like $30.

I agree, if you have chloramines then best to get them at the water making stage. :)

I flushed mine for about 10-15 minutes or so. As for replacing filters, I would grab a real cheap tds meter from ebay and you can see when the tds creeps up, thats when you replace the filters. You dont have to replace the membrane very frequently, maybe every 2-3 years. I replace mine around the 6 month mark regardless of tds reading. BRS sells the 2 carbons and sediment filter for like $30.

My lfs has replacement filters, what does a tds meter look like? Could it have one built in? I havent opened the package yet, gonna flush it tommarow.

I'm no expert on RO/DI systems as I haven't invested in one yet myself, so I'll let someone else chime in to help you on that.

Regarding the chloramine, I mean hey why not right? It saves you a step and makes the water safe from the get go.

I wouldnt have got one if it werent for this build lol, to much driving 11 miles to the lfs every time i need water lol

Guys would 40lbs be enough to fill this tank? Or is 20 fine

IMO I would go with 40lbs. Keep adding sand until you feel it looks right though, the rock is what is more important as that's where the BB lives.

Back
Top Bottom