60g tank too big for baby goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salukie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

I just got my new 60 gallon tank and I'm fishless cycling at the moment.

When everything is ready, I plan on getting three or four fancy goldfish. The ones at the LFS are tiny. Maybe one or two inches long. Will they be too small to put directly in the 60 gallon? Will they be lost in there? Get sucked up the filter? Will they be able to find the food?

Should I start them in a smaller tank or will they be fine starting out in the 60?

I feel weird asking this since most people start goldfish in aquariums that are too small. ಠ_ಠ

Also: Should I get all four goldfish at the same time or should I get two to begin with and add two more at a later date? Can you house baby goldfish with adults?

Thanks !!

It'll be fine. Big water usually results in big growth. Try to feed in the same spot every time, they'll learn where food is.

It'll be fine. Big water usually results in big growth. Try to feed in the same spot every time, they'll learn where food is.

You are on a roll today! :D +1 my fish know where the food is because I feed the same spot every day. A bigger tank also helps keep your water quality in check.

Caleb

Thanks for the reply!

For food, I got Saki-Hikari purple bag. Is this an okay food for the itty-bitty babies, or should I start them on something different?

I may not get all 4 fish at the same time because my LFS only has black moors and redcap orandas at the moment and I'd like 4 different looking ones. Is it okay to add baby fish in with larger ones? Will the big ones eat all the food?

Is a ten gallon big enough for a quarantine tank or should I get a bigger one?

So many questions! Thank you!!

Hi there, I always spread the food throughout the tank, because my goldfish love to forage, and I feel it gives them some activity and purpose. They never have a problem finding the food!

I don't think there is such a thing as having a tank too big for goldfish - especially if you have plants and ornaments to divide the space to create interest and places of refuge for the little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sadly, one of my telescopes got stuck on the filter intake and died. I'm thinking that one may have had something wrong with it though because the other telescope and the oranda never had trouble swimming away from the current. I got a second oranda so I have three fishies again.

They're doing pretty good. Growing lots. I'm feeding them mostly Repashy Soilent Green and frozen bloodworms. They also get Hikari pellets.

Back
Top Bottom