64g Rimless, Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a couple bucks lower than Petco.com and Drs Foster & Smith. I think the regular price is around $250. I just picked up a 206 and might be installing it tonight.
Edit: It should be fine for your tank. You are still going with the frosted back? If so, you should be able to swap out the stock black ribbed tubing with clear tubing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No matter what canister, definitely want tubing that blends in.
I'm planning to make a long, low stand for the tank. I want the cabinet underneath to hold the canisters, and basic tools for the scape. I can drill holes in the top of the stand to run hose down to the canister, so the hose won't be visible for long. If I run the hose behind the tank, then it won't matter too much what color the hose is. If it is off to the side, then clear would be preferable...

For the size of this tank you may consider running two smaller canisters. Two ehiem 2217 might do it. Also id look into a sump filtration and skip canisters all together (i have no idea how much they are)

I hadn't thought about that...
Since the tank is almost 4' long, a set of lily pipes would probably help circulate the water. I'm not planning to heavily stock the tank, but the movement can't hurt.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

If you did 2 canisters you could have one for mechanical filtration&the other for biological filtration...

If you want to do CO2 I'd recommend staying away from a sump system. You'll more than likely off gas all your CO2 in no time flat.

My opinion on the multiple canisters is that it's more equipment, power, maintenance, and ultimately hassle. I can't see any major benefits to a dual canister system that a single good canister couldn't handle. I would stick with a single canister and a powerheads or two.

That is also a decent price for the 406. Like Fresh2o said, it's a few bucks cheaper than average.

Of course all of this is my opinion and you can't go wrong with dual canisters. Just seems unnecessary to me.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 via the Aquarium Advice app.

Last edited:
If you want to do CO2 I'd recommend staying away from a sump system. You'll more than likely off gas all your CO2 in no time flat.

My opinion on the multiple canisters is that it's more equipment, power, maintenance, and ultimately hassle. I can't see any major benefits to a dual canister system that a single good canister couldn't handle. I would stick with a single canister and a powerheads or two.

That is also a decent price for the 406. Like Fresh2o said, it's a few bucks cheaper than average.

Of course all of this is my opinion and you can't go wrong with dual canisters. Just seems unnecessary to me.

+1 to Skywitney's comment..

Im pretty sure Tom Barr and a lot of those guys run some sort of sump filtration. I may be wrong though, read the barr report to get an idea of what those guys do.

Could you run a sump with a piece of custom cut plexiglass on top to prevent evaporation?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They do, but even they say they have a ton of off gas. The entire intake chamber of the sump needs to be sealed off to prevent gas exchange. When you think about the design you would need it basically becomes a diy canister filter imo.

I'm a huge supporter of sump systems but from my experience they are the worst setup if trying to use CO2.

This is the sump Tom Barr runs on one of his tanks.

Attachments

• 1428895991981.jpg
    1428895991981.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 72
I definitely think I'll be using the canister route. The idea of a sump is a wee bit intimidating.
Is anyone else using the CalAqua Labs glassware? Opinions? Experiences?

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

You should be fine with canisters. Sumps are not intimidating but not always necessary (esp in FW).
I like the idea of drilling holes on the top deck of the stand for the canister tubing.
Maybe contact BrianNano12 regarding the glass tubing. He dabbles in many things.
Another option if the tank is "drill-able" is to install bulkhead fittings. There would be no plumbing visible over the rim.

I think a 406 will do the job just fine. No need for a sump. I have CalAqua Lab lily pipes. They're certainly top-notch quality. Both my lily pipe glass sets are hoarded away for the time being because I'm too lazy to clean them if I set them up again. It truly has to be a labor of love and the prerequisites to use them are time and patience because they're a huge pain to keep clean.

Have you consider stainless steel lily pipes? I might get some myself. They look great (maybe not as much as clean glass) and less work to maintain.

Last edited:
Fresh knows his stuff too.. I heard of southern oaks before and contacted them. They seem legit and fast to respond.

I'd go with them.. but if you don't mind waiting, some oversea sellers on eBay are okay as well.

I was staring at my tank last night and was thinking how you really would want to swap out the Fluval stock fittings in a display tank. The clear intake tube is not bad but the stark white rubber connectors and whitish plastic spout is glaring against a dark background. And replace the ribbed tubing to ensure a secure fit with the lily pipes or whatever you go with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom