65 gal American Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willeyeam313

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 65 gallon tank that houses a 4" Jack Dempsey, a 4" green Texas, a 3" firemouth, 3" severum, a 3" parrot and a 3" convict (all juvenile). My tank is always in good condition so I know I'm not over stocked as of NOW. my question is... Can I add another firemouth, or possibly a salvini? I know I will need to split some of these up as they grow, but I'm asking about having them all in a well kept 65 gallon tank that I do regular water changes on weekly.

image-644511380.jpg

I wouldn't add another firemouth, if they pair then you will get major aggression in the tank as they defend their nesting site.

It's a hard question to answer. In short, yes, you can put whatever you want in your tanks if you keep it up and plan to move them as they get bigger or start getting aggressive toward one another.

Good advice from Wy.

People give stocking advice based on long term tank setups, since a short term setup could vary wildly based on the situation.

There might also be some interbreeding between them but I'm far from an expert on cichlids so I'll leave it at that.

Ok no firemouth for sure then. What about a salvini? Never owned one just read about them and see them occasionally at my LFS

Back
Top Bottom