67Gal freshwater tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobnobelisk

Aquarium Advice Activist
67 Gallon Freshwater Build

So guys im starting up again and am going to document my progress as ive seen many interesting threads.

So i have been thinking of getting a new tank for the past month or so, and as i went into my LFS i found an aquatropic pro tank for around the 3rd of the retail price! (Was in the sale and it was a display only tank with no fish in) So picked it up for £350 Which i thought was to good to refuse. It came with a cabinet, T5 lighting, Interpet Deltatherm heater and a AquaManter external filter.

Aside from this i had many ideas in mind for the new tank when i got it. I was thinking a so called 'forest' end with lots of tall plants and a beach end with a sand substrate and rocks. (Not sure if this would work) Or maybe a tall planted background with some rocks and low plants in the foreground around a feature piece of driftwood. I would like to know if the first would work and if not what plants would be worth getting for the second.

Now ive been doing alot of research on the Phillips Purifier, i dont wish people to point out the dangers of Ozone im well aware of the risks but this isnt a bodge job DIY set up, its with a company i trust. What i would like to know is if its worth the £100 from anyone who knows the advantages and disadvantages.

And now on to the part we are here for. The fishies! So i will be moving over my 3 Discus, 3 YoYo Loaches, 1 RTBS, 1 African Dwarf Frog and 4 Hatchet fish. So what would you guys recommend? 1 of my Discus has turned black and we are treating him for what seems to be a bacterial/fungal infection. Now with seeding the new tank is that a bad idea. Treatment will be over by the time the new tank arrives on friday.

Also if anyone knows a good UK store for driftwood, that would be very helpful.

Ill note all my progress on here and of course upload pictures to show you all how its getting on!

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the tank and the piece of bogwood, the plan is to have the bogwood up the back right corner. Ignore the bogwood in the tank aswell.

Attachments

• IMG-20110510-00014.jpg
    IMG-20110510-00014.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG-20110510-00015.jpg
    IMG-20110510-00015.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG-20110510-00016.jpg
    IMG-20110510-00016.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 176
i suggest not putting the ADF in that tamk,and insted getting aq small tank,something like 5 gallons,and getting 1-2 buddies for him.

Any reason for this Allexx? and what about plants for the tank. Any nice long plants for the background going for a pebbley mud substrate for nice plant growth. Maybe a couple of low lying plants or a carpet plant?

So disaster struck the filter on my 120 packed in and wasnt oxygenating the water enough, i rang up the lfs that i was buying the tank from and they said i could take the cannister filter home early! Pictures shortly of it and the 120L.

Pics as promised. The filter is crazy aggressive for the small tank. thinking i can get a half decent colony going on, with the broken filter still pushing water through it at about 200l an hour. Got as pic of a nice looking pigeon blood discus on about 2 inches big atm.

Attachments

• IMG-20110511-00017.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00017.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG-20110511-00019.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00019.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG-20110511-00023.jpg
    IMG-20110511-00023.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 129
arangarajan93 said:
You can put a common pleco, a school of tiger barbs, a walking catfish, rosy barbs, etc.

No common pleco! Those really need a 125 gallon to be comfortable. also No tiger barbs, as they'll torture your discus.

Hobnobelisk said:
I would like a resident suckyface, will the Discus like the liveliness of the Barbs?

See if you can find a bristlenose pleco instead of a common. They don't get nearly as big, and do a wonderful job at taking care of algae.

Any reason for this Allexx? and what about plants for the tank. Any nice long plants for the background going for a pebbley mud substrate for nice plant growth. Maybe a couple of low lying plants or a carpet plant?
ADFs are practically blind,and not the best swimmers,the tank may stress him out,if he has to swim that high for air.they usually dont get food very fast,mine take 10 minutes minimum to find there food in a 10 gallon aquarium,so in a tank that big i would worry that they would starve.

Hobnobelisk said:
Well with the Phillips Purifier, algae should not be an issue so it is just for lookwise. What are Ghost Knife Fish like?

Needs a bigger tank. Lol. Hate to burst your bubble.

Back
Top Bottom