70 gallon soft reef (for now) bulid.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No i turned the

image-1801140949.jpg

ball valves off so I could mix the salt got in DT, I had planned to let water down today and start running so I had enough room to add rock then sand. So should I open valves let run add some rodi then remove some to add rock/sand. Here I added more water for correct reading.

Ya its still off the charts it seems. What I would do since this is still clean water is pull out like 4 gallons in a bucket and adjust that to your needed salinity. Then you can save that bucket for your first water change and frees up room in your tank for adjusting salinity and displacement from rock and sand.

I have one of those vacuums that attaches to sink, how many inches down do you think I should remove? Here's the tank again, it 4' but a stretched octagon shape.

image-205781883.jpg

I'd say it would be roughly 3 gallons per inch of tank but I dont kno the height of your tank so that's not exact.

Ya that should be a good start but seriously I wouldn't waste the extra water lol store it in a bucket :)

Ok well I drained it and am filling with ro/di now, I'll let you know what it is when I recheck it. Thanks for quick responses. Another question, since I won't be running skimmer during cycle is it ok to leave it on sump unplugged not running with water in it?

Ya its fine but if it is brand new you may want to consider running it since they do have a 1-2 week break in period.

I am constantly getting different answers. That's what I thought and asked if I should start running before cycle was done and was told no. I figured since it needed to break in it wouldn't pull the stuff out, but was still told not to use till after cycle. Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated.

I just checked bc it is 1/2 way filled back up and it's still reading the same. I checked the hydrometer against tap and a small batch of saltwater and test fine. I'm not sure what to do shouldn't it be going down. Should I let some down in sump? So I can keep adding water? Please help. Thanks.

image-1167016378.jpg

Like I said the top of your needle is reaching the surface of the water so you are off the charts.. you could take out one gallon and then figure how much Ro/Di it takes to get the 1 gallon correct. Then do the same to your tank.

Thanks I let my 1st compartment fill up in sump so I have more room, I will try to get it to low end of salinity then let it all mix together so it should be right. I can't imagine why it did this, I followed directions exactly.

Wait so some of your sump is still empty? Turn your system on as if its running normally to fill up with water cause if not your just gonna have to make another batch of water just to add for the sump volume when you do so better now while its one body of water.

I only allowed it to fill the first compartment and bubble trap, I figure when I fill it back up and get salinity right, I'll let rest of sump fill and start running I will still need room to add rock/sand so I don't need it filled all the way with sump until after I get stuff in, right? I am sorry I'm not that good at the math portion of this. I'm kinda confused can you explain a little better.

I would run the sump that way you don't end up being a little short on water causing you to have to mix up some more.. its easier to take water out then it is to put water in but if you feel the plumbing and sump being empty will leave you enough room for rock and sand displacement then go for it there's no wrong way really just trying to help you avoid a couple steps possibly. The main reason I would fill your sump though is so you have plenty of room to add Ro/Di cause pouring good saltwater down the drain is wasteful and costly sometimes lol

Ok, the problem I ran into is bc my tank is drilled so when it ran down past bulkhead it quit filling sump. Any suggestions?

Lindsay

Add some Ro/Di which will lower your salinity and bring your water level up. Keep doing this until you either corrected your salinity or ran out of room for water which in that case drain a little and add some more Ro/Di... Don't sweat it though the first fill up can be a headache since your making so much freakin water lol

Yep, that's what I am doing draining more in sump it's filled refugium about 1/4 way so hopefully it will fill up, I just checked again and it's still off the charts, why would it be that high following directions?

Back
Top Bottom