72G FW Adventure - Want to come too...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Missed some updates

So I just noticed that I missed some updates.

Here is the horrific disaster thread.

This was May 8
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...er-help-to-figure-what-went-wrong-261237.html

I guess I was thinking about all that not realizing that it wasn't on here in the thread.

Things have calmed down and parameters are back to normal.

I didn't get to do my tank clean Tues, so probably in the morning or Thursday.

The Angel fish still seem to be breathing fast much of the time, but the rest of the fish seem fine. I will need to check if they just do that alot.

Due to the fast breathing thing, I added an additional airstone and will see about lowering the temp a degree or two. They are at approx 80F.

I am going to treat them and see how it goes. Maybe tomorrow after the tank cleaning.

Very nice tank! :) That is so cool that you have a fiddler crab in there! Is there any aggressiveness present? You said somewhere that you have a little island in there for him too, right?

Thanks!

Thank you. ;)

Sorry, I missed your post about the Fiddler crab.

I had 2 of them, one male with the very big claw and the second I was told was a female.

But it was not a female and it's claw began to grow. Big claw, I believe was killed by the other one, maybe a month or so ago.

I see no aggression from the crab to the fish.

Big claw climbed everything and went everywhere in the tank.

Little claw stays low in the tank and rarely climbs to the top. He loves to dance at the edge of the tank where the substrate meets the glass, waving his little big claw! I want to try and find him a female but I am a little scared since that is what I thought I had before.

The DW is above the waterline, that is why the water is a couple inches lower than it would normally be. There is a piece of cork reptile bark which is like an island. I have a little salt in the water for him. Right now appx. 1 tsp per 5 gal and working my way up a little higher, maybe.

The shrimp guy at the lfs says he has had his Fiddler crabs for 3 years with no added salt in his tank.

I use Redmond brand Real Salt, it is a natural mineral salt. From central Utah. I get it from the health food store in bulk packages. Just in case you were curious. I have been using it for appx 6-8 years, can't really remember for sure. Started when I had lots of Bettas.

Thank you. ;)

Sorry, I missed your post about the Fiddler crab.

I had 2 of them, one male with the very big claw and the second I was told was a female.

But it was not a female and it's claw began to grow. Big claw, I believe was killed by the other one, maybe a month or so ago.

I see no aggression from the crab to the fish.

Big claw climbed everything and went everywhere in the tank.

Little claw stays low in the tank and rarely climbs to the top. He loves to dance at the edge of the tank where the substrate meets the glass, waving his little big claw! I want to try and find him a female but I am a little scared since that is what I thought I had before.

The DW is above the waterline, that is why the water is a couple inches lower than it would normally be. There is a piece of cork reptile bark which is like an island. I have a little salt in the water for him. Right now appx. 1 tsp per 5 gal and working my way up a little higher, maybe.

The shrimp guy at the lfs says he has had his Fiddler crabs for 3 years with no added salt in his tank.

I use Redmond brand Real Salt, it is a natural mineral salt. From central Utah. I get it from the health food store in bulk packages. Just in case you were curious. I have been using it for appx 6-8 years, can't really remember for sure. Started when I had lots of Bettas.

Thanks a lot for the information! Your Foddler Crab seems very cute!

Do try require air? Or is it just something that is healthy for them to have every once and a while?

Fiddler Crabs

There is a lot of reading about FC.

There are a number of varieties to be found for sale as well.

The basics are that they are little land crabs that live on sandy and rocky beaches and scavenge like crabs do.

There is only one entirely FW crab and that is the Thai Micro Crabs, lives its whole life IN FW.

So the FC are somewhat, in my opinion, in need of a little sand bed or place for sunning itself and since all of them come from the sea shore/brackish water/ lagoon type areas, that they would be better off with some salt in their water.

Mine get Hikari Shrimp and Crab Cuisine which are created specifically for their dietary requirements, minerals for molting and foods for health. So I don't worry too much about that.

Being that the shrimp guy said he keeps his fully aquatic and no salt, I feel OK in keeping these guys like I am.

I hope to get a little set up created, like a hamster Habitrail so it/they can come and climb out into an observation pod on top with sand pebbles little twiggy DW and sea shells, like I might do for hermit crabs, lol.

My tank is in my living room and the set up needs to look very nice, so no pink yellow blue green hamster tubes. :whistle: lol Need to figure out a smokey tube color and maybe burlap strips inside the tubes for climbing up to the beach!

I think this would be really fun, the crabs would love it, and when I get some grand kids, they would love it!!! :dance: I have just been really busy and haven't had the time to focus on this little project. Maybe I can plan it now and implement it this coming winter.

Thanks for the plethora of info, I appreciate it!
Good luck on your project this winter!

Figured it might be useful to someone, now or later!

The Fiddler Crabs are very cool little guys, and my daughter (20 something), was in love with big claw, she doesn't really like little claw considering he probably killed her buddy! So I will get another one, try for a female, again! If that goes well, maybe a few more and a new big claw!

Today I got a floating lily pad, not especially attractive, but it floats AND has a anchor so it doesn't go everywhere and bump into things. Haven't put it up yet, it is for turtles primarily, lol.

Can try it out and see if it gets any use, as little claw doesn't go up there to the top almost ever. Can return it if I am not "lovin it"!

:fish2:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom