75 Gal Reef Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dano.

Aquarium Advice Activist
So after about a year of running my BioCube 29 (1st two pic), I started to look around for an upgrade. I found this 75 Gal Acrylic tank, stand, and sump from a local guy that is getting out of the trade.
Over the next few weeks I will begin the build and keep up on the thread, any ideas or imput is welcome and appreicated.:thanks:

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 345
  • IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 343
  • IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 341
  • IMAG0046.jpg
    IMAG0046.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 371
I'd probably start by cleaning and soaking using vinegar. If it was glass, i'd say razor blades...but that's not going to work here. Good luck!

Gonna be following. Am doing about the same thing myself right now. Good luck and enjoy the cleaning!

Yea I planning on spending a while cleaning it up, but I can't complain. The guy only charged me $75 for the set up including the lights and a candy cane.

Here it is...

Attachments

• IMAG0048.jpg
    IMAG0048.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 339
I got the tank and the sump all cleaned up and looking pretty now it is time to figure decide on some equipment. I am still in need of a protein skimmer and I planning on getting a RO filtration unit. Does anybody have any suggestions on brand and where to find a good price on them?

Ebay for RO. I got a coralife one because I ran into it and got it...but could have got a 6 stage for less money...it only is 2.

As for skimmer...dont get a seaclone they are garbage. I hear coralife's are good.

I'm a fan of my reef octopus skimmer. Works like a beast and was getting some dark skimmate after a few hours. Overall, just a solid build.

Either way, I'd recommend getting a skimmer rated for 1.5-2x your tank volume. A slightly oversized skimmer works wonders.

Got my RO filter on its way now. I was taking a look at a few of the eshoppes protien skimmers, does anyone have one of these or know of their performance?

I have an eshopps psk150 on my 125g. I happen to like mine very much, took a bit to get it dialed in right but it produces more skimmate than my reef octopus thats on my 90g. :)

I picked up a skimmer today so to layout what I have so far....

75g acrylic tank, center back overflow, with two returns
25g custom acrylic sump
Eshopps PSK 100 Skimmer
Hydor Koralia Evolution wavemaker
Current USA Nova Extreme Pro T5 HO

I plan on filling the tank and beginning the build when I go on vacation in a few weeks.

Not sure on which octopus I have. It came with a setup i picked up but he said it was rated for 125g. Its' their cheapest one I believe.

So I have the set up filled and all of the plumbing seems to be working well so far. I have 160lbs of live sand, creating a 4" deep sand bed, and 60 lbs of Manado live rock.

Attachments

• image-252223314.jpg
    image-252223314.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 239
Now my fuge has lighting!!!

Attachments

• image-3138967631.jpg
    image-3138967631.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 254
Back
Top Bottom