75 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedNeck

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I do believe I posted this question in the wrong area before. I am getting a 75gal tank and would like to do cichlids. Im not too sure what kind. This will be my first try with them. Is there a group easier than others? I just got into live plants....are they ok in a cichlid tank? I need noobie help!!!!

RedNeck said:
Ok I do believe I posted this question in the wrong area before. I am getting a 75gal tank and would like to do cichlids. Im not too sure what kind. This will be my first try with them. Is there a group easier than others? I just got into live plants....are they ok in a cichlid tank? I need noobie help!!!!

It varries from fish to fish and having a 75 gal will help with aggression quite a bit. One common practice is to only stock from a specific lake. I have only kept Africans, so I cannot give any insight to new world cichlids. In my current setup, I don't see too much aggression, and I have a pretty diverse mix:

1 Albino Pseudotropheus Socolofi
4 Labidochromis Caeruleus
2 Pseudotropheus Acei
2 Melanochromis Auratus
1 Melanochromis Cyaneorhabdos
5 Pelvicachromis Pulcher
2 Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi (will probably need to remove when they grow more)
2 Synodontis Multipunctatas

I will probably add a female Johanni when I can find one in the area, but most places just keep stocking males. Java Fern is one of the only plants I can have last with my Cichlids. The taste is bad enough that the worst they do with it is dig it up. Everything else I have added in the past gets decimated. Good luck with your setup and don't forget to cycle.

Update!!!!! Just carried into the house my new 90 gal. tank! I will post pictures when I get it set up. When at the lfs they had electric blue dempsys and rasberry servums. I also would like a pleco......I would like to build off of this base if I could.

Ok, here is the begginings of the tank. Just started to do a fishless cycle. Im running two emperor 200's and a 300 wat heater. Let me hear any concerns or comments!
60630-albums9586-picture38513.jpg

I do believe I would like to build my stock list around a jd...maybe a eletric blue jd if they still have them when my cycle is done. I also want a pleco. Any suggetions to what else to add? Much appritiated!(y)

If you want a jd I want get a normal one. The eb jd's are not very hardy. For a pleco I would get a bristle nose plefo because they stay small. I've had a jd and he was an awesome fish. I can't help on the stocking question too much more. I don't know a lot about said cichlids

Ic. I am learning more about them everyday. I am doing alot of reading and research but that is alot to take in. The guy at the new lfs I found seemed pretty knowledgable but his stocking ideas seemed way to much for a 90 gal. imo. He was talked about oscar, ebjd, rasberrry servums and foil tetras alot with a pleco. I would like atleast 6 fish in this tank and I deff. want a pleco.

Ok....just put the finishing touches on the decor.Heres a picture update....now only if I knew magic to get it to instantly cycle!!!!! I got some books from the store today and the one breaks down the species right down to area....This should help me decide what I want. I know it will have a bn pleco and then I want one center piece fish and a handfull of smaller colorful cichlids.
60630-albums9586-picture38587.jpg

The LFS gave me some gravel from one of their tanks....I have it in the pantyhose in the left front:lol:.

Ok.....fast cycle? I just started about 24 hours ago....put in the media from the lfs and dosed ammonia to 2ppm. These are my test readings tonight.:D
Temp-82
ammonia-1ppm
nitrite-1ppm
nitrate-between 0 and 5
ph-7.8

Im not 100% sure on what to keep doing....should I just let it ride now or do I keep dosing ammonia?
60630-albums9586-picture38593.jpg

gman42 said:
If you want a jd I want get a normal one. The eb jd's are not very hardy. For a pleco I would get a bristle nose plefo because they stay small. I've had a jd and he was an awesome fish. I can't help on the stocking question too much more. I don't know a lot about said cichlids

Electric blues are not very hardy fish at all. Make sure your cycle is complete before you add one. They are beautiful but expensive.

I really need some advice on this cycle? Now that nitrites are showing and nitrates are starting do I keep dosing the ammonia?

Yes you should keep dosing ammonia until its converted all the way to nitrites in one day. I would dose ammonia to 4ppm

Ok. Thanks...I only did 2 because I read between 2 and 5 but the higher the ammonia the more likely it will alter the ph and stall. I will dose it up when I get home today!

Look into a (possibly, someone else like Jetajockey can probably chime in) royal pleco for that tank, I just think a BNP will get lost in a tank of that size. As for tank mates, a group of convicts may work, however, I've been told they are NASTY when spawning

Well I like convicts but I don't just want three fish.....I want a colorful, lively tank. I see all these other cichlid tanks just flowing with color.....what are those? african?

RedNeck said:
Well I like convicts but I don't just want three fish.....I want a colorful, lively tank. I see all these other cichlid tanks just flowing with color.....what are those? african?

Yes they are African. They are full of color and you can have more in one tank.

I have 2 emperor 200's hanging on this tank....Was thinking of adding a marienland 360c canister.....Will this combo be plenty or will it still be cutting it short?

Back
Top Bottom