75 gallon hardware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SicklySweet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 75 gallon that I'm going to use to keep some mollies in and I'm wondering if I can just use an Emp 400 for filtration.

I realize that there should be a lot more filtration in a 75 gallon tank (probably twice as much), but will it be alright for some fish to live in. Or will it just be a death trap?

Not a death trap. 400s are meant for tanks up to 80 gallons or so (just calculating, not reading this). BUT, I'd recommend another filter on there eventually. A canister filter (Fluval 304 for instance) or another Emperor/Penguin HOB filter should work. I'd esp. recommend a filter with a long intake tube so that you can get the bottom tank water circulating better. Penguin 330s have this helpful feature.

HTH

Don't the Emp400's have an extension tube? And if I have 25 fry or so that I was planning on keeping for 5 months in that 75g, would there be enough oxygen?

I think, as long as you don't stock the tank very heavily, that the Emp 400 will be plenty. One of my service accounts has a 55 that is heavily stocked and Emp 400 does a great job on it. Except for the fiasco with the bacterial bloom, the water is always crystal clear and I have never seen any trace of ammonia or nitrite in this tank. The Emp 400 does come with an extension tube that should reach almost to the bottom of a 75. The Emp creates enough surface turbulence with it's high flow and the spray bar over the bio wheels that I don't think O2 content will be a problem. You could always add a small powerhead directed at the surface if you think it needs more. Surface agitation is the best way to promote gas exchange in any tank.

Back
Top Bottom