75 gallon high tech cloudy help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tobykourtney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I woke up this morning to an extremely cloudy tank my first thought was maybe a mini cycle so I check pretty much everything.
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrite:30
Phosphates:3
Ph:7.6
I have no idea what could of cause this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

if its white cloudy its a bacterial bloom....if its green its an algae bloom. if its a bacterial bloom vacuum your substrate and do a water change and wait it out, if its an algae bloom you need to either do a 3 day blackout or get a uv sterilizer.

Last edited:
just do a good (GOOD) vacuuming and a water change and wait it out , also you can add more surface agitation to help it along

Last edited:
just do a good (GOOD) vacuuming and a water change and wait it out , also you can add more surface agitation to help it along

If my ammonia and nitrite are both zero what could cause this?

Just to be sure put some tank water in a white cup to verify there isn't a green tint. Sometimes you can't see the tint in the tank at the beginning of an algae bloom.

One thing I've learned over the years is sometimes things happen in the tank that make no sense and can't be explained. Just think if anything, no matter how small, you did different, used something different, did a big substrate vacuum or filter cleaning. If it is a bacterial bloom something triggered it even if you can't figure out what. If it's a bacterial bloom hopefully it will clear in a few days but if not a UV sterilizer will clear a bacterial bloom as readily as it clears an algae bloom.

Uv sterilizer got installed this morning :) and I have to do a 50% wc tonight anyways.

Just to be sure put some tank water in a white cup to verify there isn't a green tint. Sometimes you can't see the tint in the tank at the beginning of an algae bloom.

One thing I've learned over the years is sometimes things happen in the tank that make no sense and can't be explained. Just think if anything, no matter how small, you did different, used something different, did a big substrate vacuum or filter cleaning. If it is a bacterial bloom something triggered it even if you can't figure out what. If it's a bacterial bloom hopefully it will clear in a few days but if not a UV sterilizer will clear a bacterial bloom as readily as it clears an algae bloom.

image-759996312.jpg

After a 50 % w/c and using a sterilizer for a day
:)

Great looking tank, what kind of light is that? I also have a 75 planted with 3 t8 65k shop lights. I have been thinking up upgrading my lights.

Great looking tank, what kind of light is that? I also have a 75 planted with 3 t8 65k shop lights. I have been thinking up upgrading my lights.

Finnex ray 2 paired up with a beamswork rgb fixture.

I set my tank up Saturday and it's cloudy. I assume it's just settling in. How it clears up soon!

Back
Top Bottom