75g cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klc9100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it's been running about 6 weeks. i know the picture quality is pretty bad. i had to take it with my old cell phone (digi cam is broken, thanks to my daughter :().

i especially want yall's opinion on the piece of driftwood. i bought everything off craigs list. the tank, stank and canopy were $100. the guy said i could have the piece of wood if i wanted it, so i took it. it is designed to lay down horizontally. once i got the rocks in, there wasn't room for it to lay down, so i stood it up. i can't decide if i like it or not. for some reason, it looks like a dinosaur to me, LOL.

img_974229_0_d7d521b596019676aab140a85615fa17.jpg

Woooow is that a T.Rex in there? Just kidding.Good deal on the tank.

It looks good...how does the black background and the black gravel look in person, I have been thinking of doing something like that in the future...I have some white pea gravel in the bottom of my tank now...it came with the tank...

I really like the driftwood, and it is a very nice tank. You may want to consider less symmetry though and do 2/3:1/3 weighting on the rocks and plants. Just an idea... It will give a you a stronger focal point.

It looks good...how does the black background and the black gravel look in person, I have been thinking of doing something like that in the future...I have some white pea gravel in the bottom of my tank now...it came with the tank...

i think the black/black looks awsome. i only wish i would have used sand instread of gravel. the black gravel fades pretty fast (or atleast mine did). it's more of a dark gray now, and doesn't look nearly as good.

I really like the driftwood, and it is a very nice tank. You may want to consider less symmetry though and do 2/3:1/3 weighting on the rocks and plants. Just an idea... It will give a you a stronger focal point.

thanks, i may try that. i'm going to re-arrange it this weekend. something just doesn't look right about it. everyone that comes to my house goes on & on about how much they like it. i sit and stare at it constantly though, and the more i look at it, the less i like it. my girlfriend thinks i'm crazy. lol.

My hubby was looking over my shoulder as I was looking at your pic and the first words out of his mouth were "Is that supposed to be a dinosaur?" So it isn't just you :D

My hubby was looking over my shoulder as I was looking at your pic and the first words out of his mouth were "Is that supposed to be a dinosaur?" So it isn't just you :D

lol. i knew it. . . . . i'm going to break it down this weekend and try something different. i have more rocks. i may just do away with the wood all together, and add the rest of the rocks.

does it stress the fish out badly to change around the aquascape once they have gotten use to it???

as long as one doesn't get smashed by a rock, i can just do it with them all in there, right???

I would say that the fish will adapt, this just means that new territories will have to be drawn up.
I like the wood, what I would do is try placing it in the tank, a different way. try turning it upside down, then stand back and look at it.
I can't believe you picked up that setup for that cheap.
Quite the deal.

I would say that the fish will adapt, this just means that new territories will have to be drawn up.
I like the wood, what I would do is try placing it in the tank, a different way. try turning it upside down, then stand back and look at it.
I can't believe you picked up that setup for that cheap.
Quite the deal.

thanks for the reply. i like the wood too, but it's just too big. it's hard to tell from the picture, but it's huge. from end to end it's 25" and from front to back it's 15". i can't turn it any other way. i would like to lay it down, but it's over 1/2 the legnth of the tank, so there wouldn't hardly be room for rocks. i don't know, i just don't like the way it looks "standing up".

yeah, i think i got a pretty good deal on it. the stand and canopy are in pretty good shape (to be 15 years old). it's one of the old style tanks (1/2 in. glass / no center support). it weighs a ton, lol. i spent another $100 on filters (two emperor 400's) and filled her up. the guy sold it cheap because he didn't want to touch it. i had to go to his house, drain it, and break it down. he gave me a box of "stuff" too. i didn't know what was in it until i got home, but it was 2 air pumps, a bunch of hose, 2 power heads, an under gravel filter, alot of chemicals & food, ect. i didn't use any of that stuff. dude was just tired of it and wanted it gone. lucky me, i guess :).

Back
Top Bottom