75g reef build in progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Speakerman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I've been wanting to get back into reefing and finally came across a deal.

40 bucks for the 75g tank. I pulled the crappy frame off, gonna reseal it all and painting the back blue.
10 bucks for the 40g sump
also have a 30g tank I'm going to use as a refugium I got for free
I got a free 48" coralife compact fluorescent fixture 2x65w

drilling kit+overflow box with 2 - 1" drains is on it's way along with
2 koralia #3 pumps

Attachments

• DSC06753.jpg
    DSC06753.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC06754.jpg
    DSC06754.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 119
I`ve never used that brand. I`m a mag pump guy. I just wanted to wish you well on the reef build.

I have a quiet one 1200 and its virtually silent. It's only loud right now because I broke the impeller... :(

How did you break the impeller? Is it a quality issue I should be aware of?

Update: I just went to Lowes and bought some 2x4, I'll probably start building the stand on Monday. I finished cutting all the old silicone off earlier and cleaned everything up, and resealed it all. I'm going to start painting the back of the tank blue here in a few minutes. :-D

Well I took off the strainer, and I accidentally sucked up a piece of gravel with it. It broke off a chunk of the ceramic magnet thing. So it was my fault and as far as I have heard they are really reliable and don't break (unless you suck up a piece of gravel) :D

Good luck with the new 75G!

cool, well thanks for the info, I haven't quite decided which I'm going with yet, but I'm leaning towards that one. I want to find out a bit more about it before I buy though.

I just put the 1st coat of blue on.

Attachments

• DSC06756.jpg
    DSC06756.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 125
well I went ahead and bought the Quiet One Model 4000
4000Wet1.jpg

and ordered my skimmer Reef Octopus NW-110
OCTNW110-2.jpg

Well, I picked up a sheet of acrylic to start on my sump, the stand is nearly done, I just ran out of trim. So that will be done tomorrow probably. I'm not sure if I even want to build doors for it. I might but I may just leave it open for now till I get the tank all set up and established.

I see you removed the trim, but do you plan on replacing it? It's there for a reason. Tanks with no trim are euro-braced along the top. What's your plan?

The trim was in such bad shape that it served no structural purpose. The lady I bought it from had it set up in that condition with no problems. The stand I made is countersunk about 5/8" and I glued a 1/2" foam board to the bottom of the tank. The glass is 3/8" (the same thickness as my 125g tank) I haven't done any math except that I've thought about it, and don't think I'll have any problems.

EDIT: the tank also has that glass brace 3/8" glass, about 10" wide in the center, and it's solid.

thoughts?

I would never leave it like that.
What's to keep the sides/corners at the top from seperating from the water pressure? Your asking a bead of silicone to hold back alot of water.

Well, with most tanks, the top frame does serve a structural purpose, as in, the frame goes around the tank and across in the center forming a brace so the tank does not expand under pressure, this tank was designed differently, the frame just went around the tank and did not form a cross brace, since the brace is glass and glued to the aquarium. The frame that was on it was 4 pieces glued together poorly for purely aesthetic reasons. Removal of the 4 pieces took next to no effort and IMO looks better without them.

Basically, from what I saw when I got the tank, the trim served no purpose except for the bottom trim that kept the tank up off the stand, in it's absence the 1/2" foam board should be sufficient.

I hope I'm not wrong :-D

Well, with most tanks, the top frame does serve a structural purpose, as in, the frame goes around the tank and across in the center forming a brace so the tank does not expand under pressure, this tank was designed differently, the frame just went art found the tank and did noorm a cross brace, since the brace is glass and glued to the aquarium. The frame that was on it was 4 pieces glued together poorly for purely aesthetic reasons. Removal of the 4 pieces took next to no effort and IMO looks better without them.

Basically, from what I saw when I got the tank, the trim served no purpose except for the bottom trim that kept the tank up off the stand, in it's absence the 1/2" foam board should be sufficient.

I hope I'm not wrong :-D
OK then. Can't say you weren't made aware of the very possible disaster.

Good Luck.

Thanks Capt

Here are a couple pics of the stand+tank+sump+refugium. looks kinda crappy right now, but I've yet to build the doors or the canopy.

I hope my overflow kit comes in today.

the sump in the front is about 35g long, and the refugium in the back is a 39g tall.

Attachments

• DSC06759.jpg
    DSC06759.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC06760.jpg
    DSC06760.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 79
The problem with the foam is that it will compress, and not alway uniformly. If it compresses in one area because the tank is heavier in that area due to more rock or decor or such, then the tank will twist and the glass will fracture. If you are set on doing this you should at least use just thick plywood and not the foam. Just trying to warn of an impending disaster. You will have a ton of money tied up in this to have it end up on the floor. Not to mention the possible damage to your home. Once again, just my opinion and experiences of others. Maybe contact a tank manufacturer and ask their opinion?

Spoonman, you can ccCapt both make great points, I'm going to think hard on this and talk to a couple engineers I know, I'll not proceed lightly, and I appreciate everyone's concern. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Back
Top Bottom