75g Tank, Bichirs, and Other Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Remember to check your temp. And post some pics first thing Sunday morning.

would anyone happen to know if you can keep two sengel bichir in a 125G?

not the large ones just the ones that range from 10-12" or are they way too agressive with same species?

That would be MORE than enough room for two Senegalus. You could do about 4 or 5 of them in a tank that size possibly more according to the information that I've gathered so far. I ended up going with an Ornatipinnis, a Delhezi, a Geophagus Surinamensis (a South American cichlid), and a Synodontis Multipunctatus (a freshwater catfish). The Multipunctatus was an impulse buy because they had sold all of the Red Spotted Gold Severums. But he is mega cool. The bichirs pretty much just lay around all day, but are still really cool.

the one senegal i have is active all the time... its pretty cool.

i was thinkin of pickin up another one in a few weeks but i wasn't sure if i had the room or if there was any inter-species over aggression if you know what i mean.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Is that the only fish you have in there? How long did it take him to not be so shy? Mine are still shy, but this is only day two of having them.

no i have quite a few fish of varying size and he seems to get along with everyone, i haven't seen any aggression at all...

Edit- he was active and running around on day 1... still working on the hand feeding bit but that'll take time

Gotcha gotcha. Well, if you have quite a few fish in there already, then you might want to pass on another, but I am a newbie to bichirs. I would just Google it and do some research.

i'm in the process of restructuring my stock list... also have an ich outbreak so nothings going into the tank until its done and over with.

i got a few more weeks to figure out whether i want another bichir.

i really hate ich... just a side note lol

Edit- just so there's no confusion, im pre-planning my stock changes on paper... nothing going in or coming out of my tank while the ich is still there.

Hi,regards the 2 species of bichir I would not recommend two together they will fight personally I would have one with,say a gibbiceps ,black ghost knife etc as long as they cannot fit in the mouth of the bichir depending on size.

The Bichirs will be fine together if added at the same time. A cool setup IMO would be so wing like this

The 2 Bichirs
1 African Brown Knife
2 Blood Parrots
2 Angels

Or replace the Angels and Parrots
With some other cichlids. EBJD's would be cool. You could also add a Peacock Eel. What kind of fish would you like?

I just realized you want an Ornate. They get 24" and it would eventually eat your African Brown Knife if you got one.

You can keep 2 bichirs together. Especially in a 120. I know because I have 3 8+in senegals together in a 75 and they are fine. Ornates will fight their own kind but mine leaves my senegals alone and just hangs out under a log.

Edit- to clarify I'm saying yes to multiple senegals in your 120 but no you shouldn't get an ornate due to aggression issues down the road. The Senegals won't have problems even if added at different times.

You can keep 2 bichirs together. Especially in a 120. I know because I have 3 8+in senegals together in a 75 and they are fine. Ornates will fight their own kind but mine leaves my senegals alone and just hangs out under a log.

Edit- to clarify I'm saying yes to multiple senegals in your 120 but no you shouldn't get an ornate due to aggression issues down the road. The Senegals won't have problems even if added at different times.

good to know, i was planning on adding at least 1 more senegal... maybe 2, or 1 senegal and 1 peacock eel.

good to know, i was planning on adding at least 1 more senegal... maybe 2, or 1 senegal and 1 peacock eel.

Even Ornates would be fine together. Bichirs aren't aggressive to their own species, it's the other fish you have to worry about.

So what would you recommend? 1-2 additional senegals or 1 senegal and 1 peacock?

In a 75 you could do an Ornate, 2 Senegals, and a Peacock Eel. But make sure you grow out the Peacock Eel before adding the Senegals. And make sure the Senegals are grown out before adding the Ornate. If you do go this route I wouldn't add any more bottom dwellers.

In a 75 you could do an Ornate, 2 Senegals, and a Peacock Eel. But make sure you grow out the Peacock Eel before adding the Senegals. And make sure the Senegals are grown out before adding the Ornate. If you do go this route I wouldn't add any more bottom dwellers.

i've got a 125, and i've got one senegal already but its only 3-3.5"

i have other fish in the tank but not many at this point

i've got a 125, and i've got one senegal already but its only 3-3.5"

i have other fish in the tank but not many at this point

Nice. Feed him raw shrimp and earth worms and they grow really fast. Mine is about 7 or so months old and 8" but has been this size for a while.

HopefulHobbiest said:

I have a peacock eel with my bichirs, he's a great addition and is constantly pacing across the tank with the bichirs.

This is how he hides lol

Attachments

• image-177186492.jpg
    image-177186492.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom