8.2 pH for angelfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Schlteacher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 45 gallon tank, nearing the end of a fishless cycle and my pH has consistently been 8.2 (tap water also is 8.2 after sitting a few days). I've kept a small community tank in the past without really worrying about pH, but was considering an angelfish for this tank and it seems they prefer a lower pH. I've seen posts saying not to worry about anything up to 8.0. Would 8.2 still be okay?

I'm not considering using chemicals, but it appears it would be pretty simple to use peat moss or granules to lower pH if that would be better...just would want to put that in before adding fish if possible.

I have angels in 8.3 pH and they do great. If I bring in fish from someone else, they don't do too good. Once you get some to survive, they will do great. If you get some get small ones, they seem to take the transition better. pH shock will take its toll on any new fish you get if they come from a much lower pH.

Back
Top Bottom