8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well its standing with no supports in yet but here's an idea of the size of this thing lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121126_220253.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121126_220253.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 102
It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the legs come all the way up to the top of the top frame? Those screws that hold legs to the top frame are taking all the weight. Look at the plans I linked on how to properly seat the top frame on the legs and legs on the bottom frame. The way illustrated in the plans will make it so that the wood takes the weight, not the screws. I wouldn't trust 196g of water on screws.

My 75g has two 2x4's on each corner. That's 8 2x4's holding my 75g up. You only have 8 holding a 196g tank.

meegosh said:
It is hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like the legs come all the way up to the top of the top frame? Those screws that hold legs to the top frame are taking all the weight. Look at the plans I linked on how to properly seat the top frame on the legs and legs on the bottom frame. The way illustrated in the plans will make it so that the wood takes the weight, not the screws. I wouldn't trust 196g of water on screws.

My 75g has two 2x4's on each corner. That's 8 2x4's holding my 75g up. You only have 8 holding a 196g tank.

I agree I just didn't want to say anything till I seen what he does when he adds the supports. I built mine totally different and I could probably drive a cement truck over it, but I had a builder/architect help me that know how much weight everything will hold.

I took a look at the link you posted and he is on the right track it looks to me because he said he still needs to add the supports in. The way that's built and your link I'm not sure if I'd trust it on a big tank.

Do they build wood stands the same on big tanks the same way they do on little tanks?

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
I agree I just didn't want to say anything till I seen what he does when he adds the supports. I built mine totally different and I could probably drive a cement truck over it, but I had a builder/architect help me that know how much weight everything will hold.

I took a look at the link you posted and he is on the right track it looks to me because he said he still needs to add the supports in. The way that's built and your link I'm not sure if I'd trust it on a big tank.

Do they build wood stands the same on big tanks the same way they do on little tanks?

I would hope not. With big tanks you need more support and you need the weight spread out more evenly over the whole stand. With smaller tanks you can get by with a fairly simple stand. And the more weight the more careful you have to be because if the screws hold the weight and not the wood they will pull out at some point and dump all that Water into your floor.

Ya those boards won't be taking any weight. The bottoms of the legs are not yet screwed into the bottom of the stand that way when I add in the supports all the weight will then be transferred to the support boards. Each leg will be encased by 3 2x4 supports and once they are all in ill then screw the legs to the bottom framing that way 100% of the weight is going from top frame to support boards to bottom frame to floor.. I know what I'm doing lol

Here's a shot to give you an idea. Those aren't screwed in just resting there

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121127_163509.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121127_163509.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 81
  • ForumRunner_20121127_163811.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121127_163811.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 80

Actually a buddy has the same stand holding his 210g up. Anything over a 72" span horizontally needs center supports when using those plans. In his case he wanted doors so it gave him a perfect spot to anchor the hinges.

I was pointing out those plans because the way they did the legs is pretty slick.

Ya meegosh I don't want you to think I'm offended or anything by your posts lol I can just be blunt sometimes haha your advice is always greatly appreciated.

While waiting for my other boards I decided to use the 1' scraps to cut braces... I wanna point out I'm using a hand saw to cut boards so its some work lmao.. ill use these to help eliminate any bowing over time across the span.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121127_211254.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121127_211254.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 78
Looking good! I can't imagine cutting those all by hand! :) Also, I think they wifey would kill me for doing my projects on the hardwood floors, lol! Keep us posted on how things turn out.

I'm going to read through the first few pages again but what do you plan on using to seal it? I was looking into doing a 4' square tank that was 2' deep with plywood. Was looking into that RubberizeIt stuff. Saw a couple folks use it with great results.

Edit: Just saw you plan on using Pond Shield.. let me know how it works for you. I'm still dreaming of my 4' square tank. ;)

Last edited:
I didnt realize you lived in Pitt meegosh. What part? Im just south of you in wheeling lol. Also, i just noticed youre a mod, i asked fort but i think his inbox was full. Could you change the title to "8' plywood tank (200+gallons)"?

Back
Top Bottom