84 gallon setup ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil_is_me_2001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So as I gift I just got a new 84 gallon tank and I am an experienced fish keeper though I don't know what I want in this tank ?? If anyone has recommendations including aquascaping please share them with me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This is kinda an unconventional suggestion but try a big mixed group of the small and medium-sized botia loaches. Yoyo loaches, zebra loaches, angelicus loaches, sidthimunki loaches? 5 or so of each. They're often relegated to being bottom dwellers/snail removal but in my experience they are more than worthy of the spotlight in a tank of their own.

Planted tank with large schools of nano fish such as rasboras, Cory cats, shrimp, etc. That is what my plan is for my 55 gallon.

Looks like it has the same foot print as a 55g just taller. Be hard to do a heavily planted tank being deep. Light penetration drops dramatically with depth. Be a cool tank for Discus or Angelfish.

Looks like it has the same foot print as a 55g just taller. Be hard to do a heavily planted tank being deep. Light penetration drops dramatically with depth. Be a cool tank for Discus or Angelfish.

Are you sure? It looks like a 3 footer to me. Hard to tell with the angle.

If it's only 3 feet long it won't have enough lateral space for Africans.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hmm it is an unusual size. I wouldn't do anything too large like boesemanis because 3ft isn't a lot of swim space for them. I could definitely see an angelfish as a big centerpiece and a pair of rams, but i am partial to these fish :D

I love plants but they would be hard in this tank, it's so deep. You'd need a really nice light.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For plants it'd be kind of cool if you built a 3d background with little ledges for them. It'd help bring them closer to the light.

I second the 3d background idea. I also second the discus tank idea. You could also go with a couple schools of smaller fish and some angels

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe 12 rasboras, 8 or 10 cherry barbs or rummynose, then a few angels and maybe add a few loaches

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429787933.883917.jpg

Thanks everyone for the ideas I love everything so far but I would love to hear a bit more about how to make the 3D background???

You can YouTube it or just google DIY 3d aquarium background. There are a couple of methods out there. Even if it isn't very intricate and detailed it'd be nice to make some sort of ledge to bring the plants closer to the lights

Back
Top Bottom