90 gallon American cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone is chilling one day.. Eba goes up to fm and kawhapahchop!! Fm gets pissed and hits the gt by accident.. jd gets prematurely awoken from his nap and throws a algae wafer and hits the convict in the face, convict realizes there are no females around and could care less.. but... that night, when the lights go out.. something happens, something terrible. On the morning lights come on and the fm is sitting there eating a pizza and watching friends.. Everyone else is either dead or near death.. what happened?!?! This is loosely based on a fake story...

Bruuuuuuuuh!!! [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji119]

Them FM's go hard in the paint!!

And the convict saying no females had me dying [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji85]

Looks like I took a few lumps today. One member saw fit to rename me "Slim" ? I don't understand the anger. I haven't been a member very long but I've posted enough times that most contributors involved in this thread are aware of me and know that my posts are solid, well thought out advice and opinions. All based on actual practice and experience. I want to assure all involved that I will never attack, ridicule or insult any contributors advice no matter
How much I may disagree with it.
Dalto' s reply was spot on tonight, probably the best post I've read. Just a side note, I successfully keep large cichlid community tanks, but I'm not a breeder. I discourage breeding
by lower temps, and hard water. If that doesn't work, I make tank adjustments. I have no desire to have a mated pair of large cichlids dominate a community tank. I also don't raise my cichlids solo or paired in a large tank super feeding them until they reach some max size goal.
As for where I obtain my info. Same as you, experience and online. If interested Google a YouTube "How to successfully keep aggressive community tanks" Cichlid breeder,
"Dan" put a series of videos together under the title "Your fish keeper friend" his point of view closely parallels my philosophy.

Looks like I took a few lumps today. One member saw fit to rename me "Slim" ? I don't understand the anger.

Where was there anger? And slim is a term used in the DMV(D.C, Maryland and Virginia) used as to say "bro" "bruh" "dude"... has nothing to do with a insult. And I surely didn't use it or say anything hostile.

I'm pretty sure I just pointed out that in a 4' tank all them larger cichlids together is just stupid..

You advocated male festa and female sal's... so even if you don't advocate "breeding" you are not informed enough to know they will spawn together...

Just because you type nice and spell correctly dose not constitute "solid and informed advice"

Sorry not sorry.. just saying. [emoji106]

No need for apologies. I do appreciate your point of view. It's clear that you are very knowledgeable. I admit that I'm not a know it all and am constantly learning. On the other hand I've been doing our hobby a very long time, I do practice what I preach and have had more successes than failures. We definitely are from different regions. Somethings might get lost in translation from time to time. Look forward to your future posts.

And this brings up the perfect opportunity....
"What works for me in my aquariums may not work for you" happy weekend!!!

Where was there anger? And slim is a term used in the DMV(D.C, Maryland and Virginia) used as to say "bro" "bruh" "dude"... has nothing to do with a insult. And I surely didn't use it or say anything hostile.

I'm pretty sure I just pointed out that in a 4' tank all them larger cichlids together is just stupid..

You advocated male festa and female sal's... so even if you don't advocate "breeding" you are not informed enough to know they will spawn together...

Just because you type nice and spell correctly dose not constitute "solid and informed advice"

Sorry not sorry.. just saying. [emoji106]

Can confirm, I'm called "slim" here in DC/MD all the time

In Oklahoma, as you know we are all football players, roughnecks in the oil fields as well as cowboys, to be addressed as "slim" is more or less an Insult. Lol.

Here in Boston if someone called me "slim" id know they were lying. "Boss" is the go to, drives me nuts.. "chowdahhead" is the worst...

I would really like to have green terrors the most, what other cichlids would go well with them

I would really like to have green terrors the most, what other cichlids would go well with them

GT's are awesome, but if you have a male, I'd make him a centerpiece fish. And use other types of oddballs, like corys, or pictus cats, or a Ralph cat, danios and barbs to add movement..

At the end of the day mixing central/South American cichlids is hard to do because a lot of them have aggy tendencies, even smaller ones. There are one but having a med/large size GT has the potential to kill.

But at the end of the day it's your tank.. do what makes you happy I've kept stuff over the years I knew had no business being in the same tank, but I have a great lfs, that I can trade stuff into when it don't work or they out grow the tank.

I've failed more times then not doing it, and that's probably me being selfish but hey.. it's a hobby.. if I can't enjoy it the way I want why would I want to invest the time into it.

Good luck with your tank. [emoji51][emoji106]

Kyle, what you could have with your Green Terror and what you should have are two different things. Firemouths, EBJD, probably fine. Forget the convicts, they usually turn out to be a nuisance. This is a photo of my 5 y.o. Green Terror. He is currently in a 120 gal along with a few Red Terrors, a couple of Texas Cichlids some African Cichlids, a school of Silver Dollar fish and more. Just do your research, buy all your cichlids as juveniles and Don't stock two GT's together
In your 90. They will eventually fight. I apologize for allowing myself to deviate from your original question.

Attachments

• 20170828_082145.jpg
    20170828_082145.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 64
If you pick young fish and throw them into together you may get away with the odd mix, maybe not.. You can try it, you have to be ready to move stock, they can kill each other over night.

Back
Top Bottom