90 Gallon Filter Advice Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gjustinmatz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 90G planted co2 injected tank. Currently have a single Fluval 406.. I also have two Hydor Nano 425gph power heads to assist with circulation. There is a very large piece of driftwood on one side of the tank. Do you think I should get a second filter? What would you recommend?

Are you having any parameter or flow issues? Imo if it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

You are getting about 4X turnover from the 406, could be better but not bad. If there are no dead spots flow-wise, you are not overstocked and your bio-filter is working well I see no need to add another filter.

The issues I'm having......

and I should've mentioned these in my OP:

Very high Nitrate levels
difficult to contain Blue Green Algae outbreak-which followed a Claudophlora (sp)
outbreak.

The ammonia and nitrite levels seem fine.

I do have a few dead spots due to the large piece of driftwood and its effect on the circulation around the floor of the tank.

Well the nitrates are a sign of your filtration working so that's a good thing you'll just need to rinse the filter a lil more often along with more or larger wcs. More filtration doesn't hurt though so you could add to it or just do a full upgrade to the fx5

Back
Top Bottom