90 gallon start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I have 1 48" T-5 4bulb on my 90 right now. All 4 bulbs are daylight. My lfs suggested getting another 48" T-5 4bulb before moving my hard coral over to the 90 gallon. What do you all think?

Another "option": I also have my 24"...? T-5 4bulb light that I could put in the hood with the 48" idk if that'd make any difference.

Hopefully I'll be gettin another 48" T-5 4bulb before Christmas.

Sorry Khij, doesn't seem to be too many people her tonight, and I SUCK at lighting. Hope someone can help you!

Dang. Just my luck haha. Maybe someone good with lighting will chime in or I'll get some responses tomorrow morning. :) (tomorrow is gonna be a very long day)

Do you know? Can I add freshly mixed saltwater to an aquarium that doesn't have any live stock yet? I know your not supposed to with fish and inverts in there.

Khij159753 said:
Dang. Just my luck haha. Maybe someone good with lighting will chime in or I'll get some responses tomorrow morning. :) (tomorrow is gonna be a very long day)

Do you know? Can I add freshly mixed saltwater to an aquarium that doesn't have any live stock yet? I know your not supposed to with fish and inverts in there.

The second part I actually know the answer to!! :) yes you can!! If there's no fish, then it doesn't matter idle the salt is fully dissolved. I took my 5g buckets, put salt in them an dumped them right in til about little over half full, added the heater and ph and let it sit overnight so salt could dissolve. Next day added rock, then more water, then Rock, then sand and then topped off. Plugged in filter and set up thermostat and let it run.

See mine already has rock and sand though. Thats what I'm kinda worried about. But I would mix in the salt really good before dumpin it in :)

Khij159753 said:
See mine already has rock and sand though. Thats what I'm kinda worried about. But I would mix in the salt really good before dumpin it in :)

In that case, I would put all the water in first, keeping track of exactly how much water you put in. Then just add the salt (however much your salt says to use per gallon) directly into the water and let the PHs mix it. If you mix it first and then dump, some of the salt might end up under some of the sand ( cuz pouring water-even gently- will stir up sand ), and if it doesn't dissolve under there and at a later time the sand is disturbed and the sand comes out- well it could affect your specific gravity. So if you wait for the sand to settle, then add the salt after it settles, then that shouldn't be a problem. That make sense?

Yeah I think I got what your sayin :) thanks. Now I just need someone? Anyone? Whos good with lighting to answer my first question.

Good luck!! Think we are the only ones on the salty side tonight. :( where is everyone???!!! Oh, right, it's the middle of he night!

Yeah. Dang sleep schedule bein all mixed up. :p haha. I'm ready tondo the water change and get everything all good to go then get my first fish in there. I'm thinking my true perc clown :) then my blenny after like half a week. then when I'm puttin coral in there slowly I'll probably make a trip to the lfs to pick up a few chromis.

Khij159753 said:
Yeah. Dang sleep schedule bein all mixed up. :p haha. I'm ready tondo the water change and get everything all good to go then get my first fish in there. I'm thinking my true perc clown :) then my blenny after like half a week. then when I'm puttin coral in there slowly I'll probably make a trip to the lfs to pick up a few chromis.

You getting blue reef chromis or green? What kinda blenny?

I looked at blue reef but probably just blue green unless you can change my mind. :) haha. Your pretty good at that. And it's a scooter blenny. So technically a mandarin that I already have and have had. Totally loves frozen food :)

Khij159753 said:
I looked at blue reef but probably just blue green unless you can change my mind. :) haha. Your pretty good at that. And it's a scooter blenny. So technically a mandarin that I already have and have had. Totally loves frozen food :)

Wow! See? This site makes people so defensive; I wasn't even gonna mention anything about the mandarin, and you already explained that it eats frozen!!!! Lol. I actually stirred out wanting blue reef cuz I knew there wasn't another blue fish I would be getting, but I could only find green at all of my LFS. So I got the green, and I love them. They're so very cute. And under the LED, their skin looks kinda pearly-irridescent. It's a nice contrast to all the rock in there!! They are very cute and stick together and have kinda adopted the single bartletts anthia I have as part of their group. So she will school around with them. It's cute.

Yeah it does kinda haha! But sometimes I just like to show off my mad fish training skills, you can call me the fish whisperer. Lol! Jk :) but yeah. My lfs only has the green ones too but I like the idea of 3 of then swimming around.
It sounds kinda mean but I need them. They're cool and cute but just boring enough to be background and really make the other fish pop! Plus they make other fish come out more :)

They rally do make he other fish come out. My first fish in SW was the bangaii cardinal, which is really shy. He hid in a cave ALL the time. Until a week later I added the 3 chromis an he seemed to realized like" hey- I'm allowed to swim around?" And them he started coming out because of them!! And hey are really cute!!

Yeah :) I mean I don't think of these fish of back ground fish but with the 3 green chromis and 3 bangaii cardinals as background. The foxface I eventually add will really stand out and pop!

So I'm thinking of gettin rid of my shrimp before I get my engineer goby :/ I read too many stories about engineer goby's eating shrimp.

I thought about it long and hard and think I want... an engineer goby more than I want shrimp. Any thoughts?

Well not sure exactly but I plan on gettin the smallest one I can find. But it will grow and i will keep it even when it's your's size haha. I figure it'd be safest just to get rid of them now instead of wait for the dreaded day haha. Right?

Well i dont know.... They grow quick but it wont happen overnight! I think you should hold onto the shrimp and get rid of them once the goby starts to get around 4-5" or so

Back
Top Bottom