90 Gallon Stock Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was planning on a 75G oscar tank but as much as i love oscars i would rather have a community of fish i never had a chance to have experience with. Now i want a 90 gallon but i might have to go with a 75G. I'd like you to tell me if my stock would work with both or just one size. Most of the fish i will list i have no experience with but know a little about them but not much. I plan to have this tank by graduation which is 10 months away but i like to plan wayy ahead so when i actually get the tank all i have to do is cycle then you guys get the pictures :) Heres what i'm looking into:

x1 Black Ghost Knife (IMO one of the coolest fish i have ever seen and i want one baddddd :D)
x1 Paradise Fish (male)
x6 Boesemani Rainbows (Could i go all male?)
x6 SAE
x1 Red Tail Black Shark
x12 Rummy Nose Tetras
x6 Congo Tetras (Can i get go all male?)
x1 AngelFish (Angel i have now so it'll probably be fully grown)
x1 Blue Gularis (Not sure about this one but i can ask)
x1 Parrot Fish (cool looking fish)

This tank is intended to be an upgrade from my tank which houses:
x6 Leopard Cories
x3 Otos
x1 Bolivian Ram
x1 Angel(mentioned in above list)
x1 Keyhole
x1 Chocolate Gourami
x8 Penguin Tetras

Depending on survivors i plan on adding these fish to the tank aswell. Please any opinions/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Keep in mind this is just a list and can change over time. The only reason i'm doing this now is to be more prepared once the time comes.

After doing a little mix and matching on aquarium advisor i noticed they said that black ghost knives were to big for a 90G but i've read otherwise.

The BGK will outgrow a 75 or 90, and will eat smaller fish like tetras. There are other, smaller species of knife fish that would work, the African brown knife would be a much better fit and easier to care for.
SAE's are nasty buggers, and only get worse as theu grow larger. A BN pleco or 2-3 would be a much better choice for algae eaters.

Yea I figured I couldn't keep the black ghost knife. Oh and I think your thinking about Chinese algae eaters. Siamese ones are peaceful and monster algae eaters :)

So I'm scratching the black ghost knife but really like paradise fish. I was thinking having marbled hatchet fish.

Look at the Red Warrior Flowerhorn!

Flowerhorn and community are two words you'll never hear in the same sentence, unless it goes like this "My flowerhorn killed the entire community of fish it lived with".

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Flowerhorn and community any two words you'll never hear in the same sentence, unless it goes like this "My flowerhorn killed the entire community it lived with".

LOL haha yea I think I want to stay away from aggressive/solitary fish. The whole point of this tank is to own fish I have never had the chance to own. I think it would be easier in a community.

Lol- I'd probably go with a pair of paradise fish rather than a single. Can I talk you out of a parrot fish? I have a moral objection to deformed hybrids and they just look silly, like they need rainbow gravel and maybe a neon colored skull in their tank =[

Just my opinion though =D

A pair of paradise sounds good to me! Yea i might scratch the parrot fish too. I've read that they do sometimes eat smaller species of fish.

Most of my solitary/single fish have been knocked off. Anybody else know of some medium sized fish that are fine to be kept alone?

A pair of paradise sounds good to me! Yea i might scratch the parrot fish too. I've read that they do sometimes eat smaller species of fish.

Most of my solitary/single fish have been knocked off. Anybody else know of some medium sized fish that are fine to be kept alone?

King bettas get pretty big, not sure how well they will do with your stock though...let me read through it again. Also.............not a cichlid expert, but........rainbow cichlids??? I've been reading up on them online......seem pretty cool.....not sure about their tempermant but I read in a magazine they are peaceful.......:)

King bettas get pretty big, not sure how well they will do with your stock though...let me read through it again. Also.............not a cichlid expert, but........rainbow cichlids??? I've been reading up on them online......seem pretty cool.....not sure about their tempermant but I read in a magazine they are peaceful.......:)

I do like them but they prefer a hard water. I'd like to keep it neutral. I'd like to increase the number of angels and hopefully get a breeding pair or two.

Yep so i've been told. Really cool looking fish i think they would add more variety to the community.

Anyways to clear things up since we have been naming/discussing a bunch of fish here are the ones i have decided upon 100%

-Paradise Fish Pair
-6 Boesemani Rainbows
-Red Tail Black Shark
-6 SAE
-12 Rummy Nose Tetras
-6 Congo Tetras
-2 Rope Fish (Really liking the idea)
-5 Angelfish

I think i've got it down. Sounds like its already fully stocked...what do you think?

I marked down 5 angelfish but i don't know if that is the right amount if a want a couple of breeding pairs. My LFS sells them pretty young so what would happen if i end up with 4 males, 1 female? So on and so on. What would be a good number of angelfish?

Oh and another question that hasn't been cleared up is if i can go with 6 boesemani males?

Also again seeing this project is about 10 months away this list can change but i'm pretty happy so far. Keep the suggestions coming there may be a fish i haven't heard of yet or forgot that i'll really like.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Anyways to clear things up since we have been naming/discussing a bunch of fish here are the ones i have decided upon 100%

-Paradise Fish Pair
-6 Boesemani Rainbows
-Red Tail Black Shark
-6 SAE
-12 Rummy Nose Tetras
-6 Congo Tetras
-2 Rope Fish (Really liking the idea)
-5 Angelfish

I think i've got it down. Sounds like its already fully stocked...what do you think?

I marked down 5 angelfish but i don't know if that is the right amount if a want a couple of breeding pairs. My LFS sells them pretty young so what would happen if i end up with 4 males, 1 female? So on and so on. What would be a good number of angelfish?

Oh and another question that hasn't been cleared up is if i can go with 6 boesemani males?

Also again seeing this project is about 10 months away this list can change but i'm pretty happy so far. Keep the suggestions coming there may be a fish i haven't heard of yet or forgot that i'll really like.

Thanks everyone for reading!

Definitely sounds stock. I'm not familiar with ropefish so IDK. In that big of a tank, maybe try six or seven and see if any pair up, and then move the rest of teh other angels.

Suggestions-have you seen pencilfish or killifish? Both are very cool IMO.

Thing is i wouldn't know where to put the other angels. This tank is a planned upgrade and i would feel bad taking them back to my lfs. Maybe i can sell them on kijiji.

I am interested in the Blue Gularis Killifish and the Korthausae Killifish but i don't know much about them and i don't know what i would do to tweak my stock to fit them in. The pencilfish don't interest me too much.

Back
Top Bottom