A canopy with taotronics?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i recently bought a 75g tank that is gonna be freshwater. In 4 to 5 months im hoping to buy a 125g to match for my reef. There is a matching canopy i can buy but wasnt sure how i would mount taos under it. Im not gonna bother if i cant make it work for the lights i want. Here are some pictures i took.

uploadfromtaptalk1448666048351.jpg

NQbosmy.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448666073542.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448666073542.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 68
Could you mount them in the canopy?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I just hung my Mars Aquas in a canopy that is the same but older(all glass).
I can't say how long the eye screws will hold but they seem fine.
I didn't go through the top only in it.
I have bolted through tops(I have several canopies) and used brass 'acorn' nuts to dress up.

I notice your canopy has side rails??

I have used shelf standards or even angle aluminum(available at any HD/Lowes) to build racks/tracks to hold lighting.

They can run side to side on rails above top of tank.....

Hooks and short chains is what I would use. Just low enough so I could get my fingers on the knobs. Either that or you could cut 3 rectangular holes in the top of the canopy and sit the lights on top. The fixtures will be exposed to a lot less humid air that way, and you'll have more room to put your arms in the tank, but it may not look as nice from across the room.

I mounted mine in/on a DIY canopy;

92584-albums13974-picture68904.jpg

92584-albums13974-picture68901.jpg

The two things I see as possible issues with using it in the canopy you have are heat buildup and the degree of spread of the light/if you have enough distance between the light and the water level.
mine sits ~10"-11" above the water level and ideally should be another 2" higher.

If mounting inside then add an exhaust fan to the canopy if it is completely enclosed. Humidity inside the unit is another consideration as I don't think they are designed to be mounted in an enclosed canopy.

If it were me, I would mount them on rails as shown, but I would cut a large rectangular hole in the top of the canopy, hinge it and add holes with air filters for exhaust and air exchange. Would also make it easier to get to the knobs. Line up the holes with the tops of the fixtures.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I was planning on adding a few fans in the canopy to facilitate airflow already but the other suggestions are great as well.

Are there other light fixtures out there that any of you would recommend i take a look at?

The nice thing is that they are made locally so i would assume i could get the guy making them to customize it a little bit for me.

Back
Top Bottom