A comment on humane euthanasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChemEngineer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since I saw the post up at the top on euthanasia I thought I would share this with ya'll...

I recently had to euthanize a fish to bring to a fish disease laboratory at a university for diagnosis. The method that I was told to use was to put the fish quickly into a bag without water, then submerge the closed bag into a container filled with ice water. I saw that a similar method was mentioned in the sticky post at the top of the forum.

Just my two cents, but I know from other experimental laboratory animal procedures that all universities must follow strict government guidelines for humane euthanasia of test subjects. I figured I would just let people know that this method is at least considered to be one of the best for fish euthanasia.

Since I saw the post up at the top on euthanasia I thought I would share this with ya'll...

I recently had to euthanize a fish to bring to a fish disease laboratory at a university for diagnosis. The method that I was told to use was to put the fish quickly into a bag without water, then submerge the closed bag into a container filled with ice water. I saw that a similar method was mentioned in the sticky post at the top of the forum.

Just my two cents, but I know from other experimental laboratory animal procedures that all universities must follow strict government guidelines for humane euthanasia of test subjects. I figured I would just let people know that this method is at least considered to be one of the best for fish euthanasia.
Thanks for your comment. :flowers: I never WANT to euthanize a fish, but there have been times when I wish I had to guts to help the poor fish end his suffering. I have never done it because I have been unsure of HOW.

I have no way of knowing if this method is humane or not, but another method involves the use of clove oil. Clove oil (in small amounts) is also used to sedate fish for brief procedures, and if given in large amounts it causes death in the same way an overdose of anesthesia causes death. Personally, I would rather euthanize with an overdose of anesthesia.

I can't give details on this method, having never used it, but there are instructions on another fish web site.

Am I allowed to say which web site I am referring to?

I've seen the clove oil thing a few times. I've not tried it though, because I don't keep any of that on hand, and don't plan on making a trip to the drug store just for it.

Smashing with a heavy blunt object, or removing the head with a sharp knife works quickly and effectively as well.

Gruesome sounding, yes, but it's humane.

I prefer mixing salt (lowers freezing point) into ice and water and then dropping them in, they don't thrash or anything, they just stop moving. I've not tried this on larger fish, but it works on small ones.

Yes, temperature shock can be humane ... but it really have to be a shock (ie very cold water & small fish so the temp change is quick.) I would not do that with a big fish (esp. cold water fish like goldfish or koi). They are so big that it takes a while to cool them down, and being a cold water fish, can survive down to -4 C or lower ... so dropping into an ice bath will just stress them out.

You can also temp shock the other way (dropping into boiling water). That is near instantaneous.

But I agree an Overdose of anesthetic is the best way to go.

I can't speak for clove oil in terms of euthanasia but I know firsthand that it works as an anesthetic. I carry it in my SwatMedic bag for dental injuries. If it will make a 200+ pound mans broken tooth not hurt anymore, I would guess that it would kill a .5 gram fish.

Putting Down a Fish

Good morning Chem...

I've used a similar method to yours for years. I fill a small sandwich bag with water from the tank and net the fish and put it into the bag and put the bag into the freezer.

As the water in the bag cools, the fish's heart beat slows to the point they quickly lose consciousness and die. There's supposedly no pain involved using this method.

B

I would recommend putting the bag into a further brown paper bag blocking out the fish's sight, further reducing stress. Just like when you bring them home from the lfs.

Hopefully something I too wont have to go through

Putting Down a Fish

I would recommend putting the bag into a further brown paper bag blocking out the fish's sight, further reducing stress. Just like when you bring them home from the lfs.

Hopefully something I too wont have to go through

Good morning enid...

+1 Not sure the paper bag is necessary, but I like the idea. I admit to waiting until the fish is pretty far gone before resorting to the freezing procedure. I've been using this method for several years and believe it's the most humane.

Thanks for your post.

B

Good morning Chem...

I've used a similar method to yours for years. I fill a small sandwich bag with water from the tank and net the fish and put it into the bag and put the bag into the freezer.

As the water in the bag cools, the fish's heart beat slows to the point they quickly lose consciousness and die. There's supposedly no pain involved using this method.

B
that only works on coldwater fish like goldfish and koi,its a slow painful death for tropical fish

that only works on coldwater fish like goldfish and koi,its a slow painful death for tropical fish

+1 x a million

For whatever reason, this information has always floated around, but if you do a bit of research on the subject...you will find this is absolutely one of the MOST inhumane methods of euthanizing a fish. It is slow, painful and an absolutely awful practice. The definition of euthenasia should be a quick and painless death...not making a fish suffer slowly while ice crystals form in their body over the course of hours.

We've had this discussion before on another thread...so instead of typing it all out again...I'm going to copy and paste my previous answer so I can include the numerous sources that explain how this is one of the worst methods

----------------------------------------

I believe you are referring to cold water fish as opposed to tropical. Here's a few sites to support my information of it not being a viable or humane option for tropicals-

An Overview of Euthanasia (sticky here on AA)
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Fi...hanization.htm
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/faustus...euthanasia.htm
http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/12/euth...aquarium-fish/
Put Down a Fish Humanely - wikiHow
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art..._humanely.html
GuppyLog || Euthanasia of Aquarium Fish

I've got a few more if needed from other sources. I simply believe you have out of date or incorrect knowledge in regards to euthanizing tropical fish.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I researched the book that B stated he took this information from...and even though I found reference that the book exists...it is very outdated and out of print.

I have never scientifically seen explanation on how that method is humane. However, there is plenty of science behind temperature shock and clove oil being a humane, efficient and ethical method.

I understand you read it in a book...but I sincerely ask you research the method in detail before continuing to recommending it to others.

Last edited:

Hello al...

The freezing method is recommended in the "Basic Domestic Pet Library Series" of books. The one I use specifically, is one written by Spencer Glass for the Clelsea House Publishers of Philadelphia.

The book series is approved by the American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (A.S.P.C.A.).

Thanks,

B

Hello al...

The freezing method is recommended in the "Basic Domestic Pet Library Series" of books. The one I use specifically, is one written by Spencer Glass for the Clelsea House Publishers of Philadelphia.

The book series is approved by the American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (A.S.P.C.A.).

Thanks,

B
im tellin ya,it doesnt work on tropical fish. they dont come form places that freeze,so they dont go dormant.

Back
Top Bottom