A comment on humane euthanasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i could just not drop one of my fish into boiling water..... it would devastate me.

I've seen the clove oil thing a few times. I've not tried it though, because I don't keep any of that on hand, and don't plan on making a trip to the drug store just for it.

Smashing with a heavy blunt object, or removing the head with a sharp knife works quickly and effectively as well.

Gruesome sounding, yes, but it's humane.
QUOTE]

Omgosh I seriously was very appalled at this. Its just cruel. and unhumane.

Quick and painless is the definition of humane euthanasia. Gruesome? Yes. Cruel and inhumane? Not by any stretch IMO.

I've seen the clove oil thing a few times. I've not tried it though, because I don't keep any of that on hand, and don't plan on making a trip to the drug store just for it.

Smashing with a heavy blunt object, or removing the head with a sharp knife works quickly and effectively as well.

Gruesome sounding, yes, but it's humane.
QUOTE]

Omgosh I seriously was very appalled at this. Its just cruel. and unhumane.
no its not,they die very nearly instantly and dont feel a thing

Naturesbarbiegirl said:
Are you kidding me?! they dont feel a thing? That is a lie. They do feel the pain.

What is a more instant death than decapitation? Severing the brain stem would even prevent pain signals from reaching the brain and causing the sense of pain even if there wasn't instant death.

Believe me, I know how gruesome these forms of euthanasia are. It is still humane, though, because the point in it is to make a quick death.

It seems like in recent years that we've grown accustomed to taking pets to the vet to deal with euthanasia but in the past it was common practice to take ol yeller out back, so to speak.
I don't think I could do it.

Naturesbarbiegirl said:
Thats disgusting. I would never do that to any animal.

Out of curiosity...what method do you prefer? To me, humane euthanasia is a much more ethical option than leaving them in the tank to be picked on and eaten in their final hours. I have let fish die in my tank before because they were so close to the end...but I placed a net over them so they would not be disturbed in their final moments. However...an ice bath is normally the method I would recommend when needed. Letting a fish die in a tank and be eaten can lead to many other problems.

The skull smashing can be messy, but when done correctly it is instantaneous. I have never had the guts to kill a creature, but I have certainly have delivered them to people who could. I know it is a touchy subject and everybody has their own opinion, but the common ground in this thread seems to be that EVERYBODY cares about their fish and wants the best for them. I am proud to be involved with people who care so much the creatures in their care. That is why I like this site.

Back
Top Bottom