A "facepalm" moment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think a wild fish would have a much greater chance of parasites/disease (like fish TB) than those in stores. I've no idea how contagious fish TB is to humans, or even what effect it has on people, though. Not something I've ever dealt with or had to research.

GodFan said:
lol I ate a live minnow but it was wild and so hopefully without chems and such.
My problem is that yea people eat the goldies (I know people who have as well) but it only takes 1 time to eat one with TB before you are seriously ill or dead.

Very true and looking back at it I don't think it was worth the t shirt and free drink, eww!

lol yea.
Fish TB is extremely dangerous to people. It causes a rash that can damage nerves and stuff. If you have a cut and reach into a tank with it you can get it. Very dangerous. Especially since doctors often have a hard time IDing it. I would have thought in the wild was safer but then again that was when I assumed fish tanks kept them constantly.

Most fish medicines and even water conditioners have a warning that they shouldn't be used for fish meant for human consumption...

lol I ate a live minnow but it was wild and so hopefully without chems and such.
My problem is that yea people eat the goldies (I know people who have as well) but it only takes 1 time to eat one with TB before you are seriously ill or dead.
I wonder if this is true? Assuming that sushi is often raw wild caught fish and assuming that TB exsists in the wild...wouldn't we have people dropping dead from fish TB after eating sushi? Especially since, and forgive me if I'm wrong here since I've never had sushi, but isn't it often SW fish sushi is made of? What I gathered from my research when I dealt with what I thought was TB, is that mycobacterium marinarum is the strain that is dangerous to humans which is the SW strain. Your chances of becoming infected with fish TB are so extremely low, and even lower if you're only dealing with FW. Can't say if that's true for sure..just what I read.

Last edited:
Fish tb is a skin illness in humans, I doubt that it would do much if you are it. It as to enter the body through an open cut. I am guessing that the acid in our stomachs is enough to kill the bacterium.

Back
Top Bottom