a few betta questions??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its hard for me to use the tablets cause i only have a 5 gal... and im a bit leery on using medicine right away for him... right now im using stress coat and aquarium salt...

i was leery with the medicine as well but my buddy said it works really well so i decided to give it a try i got my betta in a 30g with 2 striped raphael catfish and a some albino corycats and a flying fox Dancer looks like my little guy "Sue"

How long has your fin rot been persisting? If it's not very long, then clean water and a good diet is really all you need. But, I would recommend a 1/5 dosage of melafix IF it is to a point where medicine is becoming an option. I prefer to go without medicine until absolutely necessary.

How long has your fin rot been persisting? If it's not very long, then clean water and a good diet is really all you need. But, I would recommend a 1/5 dosage of melafix IF it is to a point where medicine is becoming an option. I prefer to go without medicine until absolutely necessary.

Sue has had his for about 3 weeks and when i noticed it a started doing 50% w/c daily instead of weekly it didnt clear up thats why i opted for meds

that would be a case where meds would be necessary.. :) i think my main prob right now is that i dont have a water test kit and wont be able to get one til next wk... im not able to watch the levels in his water yet... and dont know how far his tank has cycled... and im just a beginner wit bettas tho i do know alot more than i did 2 months ago lol :)

that would be a case where meds would be necessary.. :) i think my main prob right now is that i dont have a water test kit and wont be able to get one til next wk... im not able to watch the levels in his water yet... and dont know how far his tank has cycled... and im just a beginner wit bettas tho i do know alot more than i did 2 months ago lol :)

Yea he's got 3 more days of treatment and his fins are all cleared up gonna run out treatment cycle thos then do a 75% w/c

Yeah, I agree that the feeding schedule is likely the culprit of the bloat. Good to know its not chronic though. I agree with the schedule siva suggested.
As for the fin rot, you did say it was clearing up. So thats good. :)

its probly because of the water condition issue... once i get the test kit and can tell when to do a water change and when to clean the gravel i will be able to keep on top of keeping his water clean better... ive not been cleaning his gravel evry day just 50% water changes... his fins are still a bit dark in some areas but whitish on the ends and thinner but they are growing back and healing.... today he seems to be a happy fish resting once in a while... the changes yesterday probly wearing him out as well.... i put his plastic plants closer together to give him something to hide in cause i did have them at opposite ends of the tank and then i have a small dark plastic cup at the bottom in his gravel he likes to go in as well and he tends to hide behind his filter but havent seen him behind his filter at all yet...

This morning dancer seems to be swimming from one end of his tank to another and when i try to get his attention even with food he ignores it... he seems awake and alert but not responsive to me at all... not sure whats going on...

It does sound like you are really overfeeding. Their stomachs are only the size of their eye. They should get about 3 pellets a day OR frozen bloodworms or brineshrimp. Not both. No freeze dried foods, only frozen. Feed six days a week and on the seventh day feed a few pellet sized pieces of blanched shelled pea. Pea moves through them quick so it will help prevent constipation. It would be a good idea to offer him so pea now, but don't feed anything else for the next few days.

Just curious...why no freeze dried foods?

Also...how do you know when fin rot is clearing up? Or when is it necessary to use medicine? If the fin rot is not progressing, does that mean it is clearing up and will now just take time to heal? Or should I notice the fins growing back quickly? How long does that take?

I dont know if anyone has said this but peas are an excellent way to flush their digestive system out.
Just get a pea and put it into some water in a cup and in the microwave for 1 minute. Then peal the pea and smoosh it with you finger it little bits. The betta will love it!

Just curious...why no freeze dried foods?
Freeze dried foods expand in water so they can cause constipation. You can soak them in water first and that is ok for some fish, but its still not the best for fish that are prone to constipation like bettas are.

Also, the freeze-drying process breaks a lot of nutrients from the worm. It is better to get fresh or if not available frozen. Although, the freezing process will still be lacking in some nutrients.

Also...how do you know when fin rot is clearing up? Or when is it necessary to use medicine? If the fin rot is not progressing, does that mean it is clearing up and will now just take time to heal? Or should I notice the fins growing back quickly? How long does that take?

In my experience with fin rot it has been because of his water conditions... as soon as i notice it i change his water and add aquarium salt and increase his stress coat... ive noticed the darkening of his fins and fraying and then by the next day or two the ends are whitish and growing back and within a week they are mostly grown back to full length again... mine is a male veil tale betta ive had for almost 2 months now and thats really the only problem hes had is fin rot because im not able to test his water yet... will be getting a test kit fri and a gravel cleaner and that will make things easier...

I would use medicine for fin rot if it is a severe case or if it is constantly recurring even tho u have done evrything to prevent it...

When the fins have stopped deteriorating the rot is gone, but regrowth could still take a while after that. Depending on how severe the damage, it could take several months. If you've been able to cure it early on, maybe only a few weeks.

As far as when to start medicating, you just have to use your best judgement. If after a week or two of frequent water changes it's still deteriorating and/or you are seeing significant amount of fin loss, start medicating.

Ok...makes sense. Thanks for your answers.

If I do end up using the melafix...it says to remove activated carbon. Does that mean I should turn the filter off? But he needs clean water. Or should I take the filter cartridge out? If I do that, will I lose any bb that has grown on it?

Slice/rip the filter cart open and dump out the carbon. You don't need carbon in your filter anyway unless to remove meds from the water.

Back
Top Bottom