a few white spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ky'smommy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
80g tank.
10 discus.
one which appears dark but healthy and happy. he also has white spots. the only one. he had about 5 little tiny spots?
i raised the temp from 85- 87 slowly.
the spots are gone no other fish have symptoms.
i do have a somewhat planted aquariam. which says no salt. but i dont care how would i dose the salt?

they just rip the plants up and eat them any ways.
so they were nice and long but they slowly made them small again. atleast no maintance on that part. they do it for me.

i would ask my other site but as most people have planted aquariums they dont recommend using salt.
so i thought i would ask the people who do use salt.
the day before last i added about the reccomended dose a little less for the plants.
the plants seem well.
these fish are somewhat new
i really cant afford to lose a discus.
not with the amount i put out for them.

i think thats all you need to know to help me dose them.

oh since the heats went up buddy has no spots left.
none.
and its only been about 2-3 days

No salt necessary. Slowly raise the temp to 89 degrees is what I did. Worked well. When all spots are gone, leave temp up for 2 weeks, then lower.

yup. they are new fish and already somewhat stressed.
and they dont need anymore.
and they dont come cheap around here either.
so lets just hope all is well when this is all over
:)
Jen

If they are relatively new, keep it at 87. Discus stress easily and extra water changes will help too! Discus don't come cheap here either. Juvy discus need more water changes than adults IMO. I do water changes every 3 days on mine. Mine are 2"-3.5".

If you are at 89 and the fish seem to be fine, I'd leave it there. Or if you haven't, then I'd probably go with Zagz recommendation, as she's got more experience with discus. It's one fish I'd like to get into, but I'm about out of room for tanks, lol. So if you've already changed it, just leave it and not stress the fish by lowering again. But if at 87, just leave it alone. Thanks for the info Zagz. I knew they were warmer water fish, but didn't know temp changes were that stressful for them. We learn something new every day here. :)

the one that is affected is a week and 3 days old in the tank.
i clean the gravel every other day(old food)
then i do a few actual water changes in between the week.
mine are about 2.5-3.5 inches give or take.
thanks for the help.
i was planning on turning it up a notch at 12 am and then turning it down a notch at 8 am when the heat starts to go back up.
i figure that way it will stay about the same over 87
to be safe.

oh and even tho the heats up and the spots are gone hes still hiding and somewhat darker then when we got him

Wolf discus that are new to a tank are very skittish and very easy to stress. Even when you have them for a while they can be jumpy. Quick motion outside the tank sends mine scattering! LOL,poor little guys, they are so friendly but not fond of changes, esp. sudden ones.

Ky'smommy, your tank sounds a lot like mine. Fish are the same size about and I have 9 in a 75 gal. Do you have any pics?

the other six are a bit newer.
so they are still hiding.
get pictures soon.
i have more if you want to see.
the one with the spots on the side is the one who is sick.
and he is super dark.
is it normal for him to be dark even with the ich spots gone?

Darkness is a sign of stress. Keep an eye on him. I'll tell you what BrianNY told me, don't panic first and foremost. Because discus are expensive and beautiful fish, the first thing I did when I had an illness was panic, LOL. They are hardier than you think. Mine are just beginning to show a bit of aggression between them for territories. Are yours starting to do that? The newer one may be stressed as he is the newcomer if that is the case. If he is still eating then what you are doing is just right for him. If not, I'll pm BrianNY as he is the resident discus expert IMO.

They are beautiful discus btw. Very similar colors to mine. Great minds think alike! Oh and I love pics of discus, I'll look at any and all you have.

well i had four then added six.
so they are the oldest of the set.
all the first four i have , eat.
i have yet to see the other six eat. but they arent dark. or hiding. only when alot of people are in the room.
and the other three in the pic arent dark.
i was just thinking it was the ich spots.
he hides out most the time under a bridge watching everything.
he does school sometimes.
the orange fish beats everyone up. and they just take it except one . he always fights back.
then once in a while 3-4 or even more will all gang up on red.
but red heards them around the tanks. the the old four are in a corner.
and then new six are in the other. and he sometimes moves them back and forth..
strange fish.
i just wish i could see the new six actually eat.
but its only been about 1 full day.

they grouped together all ten of them almost instantly for the first few hours.
now all they do is sit in the corners.

Only one day is not to worry, I got 6 of mine at the same time from the same breeder so they ate right away. Patience is key they will eat. Give them time, also can turn out the lights a bit more to make them more comfortable. Mine rarely school anymore but LOL, I have one that I call Big Red, he/she is boss!

thats funny. cause thats what we call our orange one. and he is the boss. lol
i got four from edmonton a week ago.
and the other six yesterday from a breeder in the states.
they were there the night before. and noone one called the lady to get them.
the first four ate. and played and were all good.
but these ones just watch
i think they had an extra stressful trip.
they are very beautiful fish these and they are much nicer then any we could get in the stores.
we have to drive two hours to buy fish. its sad.
they never went dark. and never hid either when they came in the tank. the were very well. and from the looks are doing extremly well for being in a tiny bag for a whole day.
just wont eat yet.
they breeder said he fed them flakes and bloodworms. but they wont eat either of them.
im hoping when the food moves around the tank they just hide and eat it at the same time.. while we cant see them

If they came from the US the breeder may have medicated them for the trip. That may have a lot to do with it. Where in Canada do you live? I live in Regina, a friend had some shipped from Florida and they were medicated for the trip. It took 3 days for the meds to totally wear off and for them to eat. I feed my discus dried tubifex, not frozen or live, some frozen bloodworms, NLS for discus, veggies and some flake food. You could check with the breeder and see if he medicated them for the trip.

It's funny how similar our tanks are isn't it?

yah.
i live in red deer alberta.
i feed them frozen and live all the time. and pellets. but they dont eat them . lol the minnows do.

i will email him tomorrow and see. he delt with another lady mostly i just sat back and waited.
they are wonderful fish tho.
they dont look like they are supose to .
2 are supose to be royal blue, 2- red rio purus and 2- tefe greens.
but they are hard to tell apart.
i think they are to young yet

Back
Top Bottom