A lethargic looking guppy.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billy The Fish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have searched the forum as best I can for an answer but either it's me being a bit dim or I haven't looked far enough back to find the answer. So hoping for some advice. (Please don't shoot the newbie)

I purchased 4 guppies yesterday for my new tank, (previously fishless cycled as per instructed). As I went through the introduction to the tank I noticed one of them has had his tail fin shredded and stayed at the top whilst the others explored and interacted with each other. This morning I found him at the back of the tank under a leaf for shelter but hardly moving, during the day he has moved to the side of the tank but remained at the bottom. During feeding he made no move towards the food but as a flake dropped to the bottom he did eat it. But it's been 24hrs now and his mood hasn't changed and looks very laboured with just the occasional movement in any direction but no more than a few inches.

A few details about tank etc.

65L /15G
Sand Substrate with a few plants

Water Condition
PH 7.6
KH 10
GH 28
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

The question I have is there anything obvious it could be or I could do to help, or do I need to set up a separate tank/place outside of where he is for him to recover and if so do I need to do anything different in the new area I have read about salt or medi's to help but any advice would be great.

I have noticed there does seem to be a bully amongst the 4 however he is being controlled by the other 2 when he starts on them but he has left the sick/injured one alone.

Apologies if you've answered these questions all before. I have attached a photo of Bob to show his Tail fin? (No idea why it's upside down)

Any help very much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20190121_171728.jpg
    20190121_171728.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 53
Hello Billy The Fish, welcome to the community.

When you mean cycled the tank, did it take about 5 or 6 weeks?

Did you rinse the filter media in tap water or replace the media since you started to cycle the tank?

Were there many dead or sick acting fish in the tanks you bought the fish from?

Are you using test strips or liquid testing kit?

Hi, thanks for the welcome and reply.

I cycled the tank for just over 5 weeks and have cleaned the filter media once due to plant matter in the inlet however I used a bit of tank water I syphoned off. There were no dead fish in the tank I bought from, as for sick none looked like they were. The test kits i'm using at the moment are test strips.

It's been 2 days since I posted this and he's still tending to stay in the corner at the bottom however he is feeding and on a couple of occasions during the day he is starting to swim about and mingling with the others for a few minutes before returning to his spot and remaining there. Being a complete novice could it be he's just sorting himself out and starting to improve?

A couple possibilities are most likely, he is trying to get over something, like stress of shipping and or being in the new store and your tank, a raggedy tail suggests either nad water could also have been from shipping, store. I'll fish often are targets of getting bullied.

I would do a refreshing couple of pwc - 2 30% at one time or morning / evening. As sio. As you can.

See if his behavior changes for the better. If so, I would do another 30 -50 % a day or so after that. An injured fish may sometimes just need ideal water conditions to relieve stress as even small levels of bad stuff in the water can keep them down if they are already in a sensitive state.

If it is a disease often being in food water can dilute it and allow fish to get through an illness.

Could also be internal parasites so watch him and see how his poop is looking. White, clear, stringy are signs of possible issue.

Reason 2 30% pwc is less dramatic change at one time is more gentle change to get water standard up and then closer to your tap. Future changes are less of an issue if fone frequently like 1 time per week.

Hi thanks for your advice.

I did a 25-30% wc last night and one again this morning sadly it was not enough to save Bob. I have again done a wc this evening and will be testing the water very soon to make sure everything else is good for the rest of the inhabitants.

Thanks once again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom