A little advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doesn't bb feed off ammonia? Anyway I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the record.. If your tank smells like cat pee you need to make adjustments.. if you have mounds of un eaten food in your substrate? Need to make adjustments. If you're going to target a thread towards noobs? Need lots of evidentiary back up, links, actual useful information. Bottled bacteria is utterly useless. Best getting the real thing from another memeber or lfs, i send sponges out whenever asked. I also clean my cannister media in straight hot hot tap water (bio media aside of course).. never lost a cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For the record.. If your tank smells like cat pee you need to make adjustments.. if you have mounds of un eaten food in your substrate? Need to make adjustments. If you're going to target a thread towards noobs? Need lots of evidentiary back up, links, actual useful information. Bottled bacteria is utterly useless. Best getting the real thing from another memeber or lfs, i send sponges out whenever asked. I also clean my cannister media in straight hot hot tap water (bio media aside of course).. never lost a cycle.

I was about to jump in here and make a few points... bottled bb being next to useless and a sales gimmick... the lack of need to be concerned about a few drops of chlorinated water hurting anything.. The fact that bb is a group of self sustaining organisms that while experience a life cycle will not "die out" as long as the denitrification process stays in working order..

But since brookster so eloquently worded most of my concerns I'm just going to add a +1.

I know of a breeder who waits 10-15 minutes after his 50%(minimum) waterchange to add his dechlorinator.
He calls it a free parasite treatment and has never had any issues from chlorine with any of his fish(your on this site somewhere John?).
IMO adding any form of "extra" BB is just looking for die off?
No aquarium will support more BB then it needs and any healthy tank will grow as much as it needs.
Once the BB is established(your tank/filter is cycled) their is no good reason to add anymore and die off would be at least one good reason not to?
The bottled BB is a good addition to the fishless cycle IMO but after that?

No my tank doesn't smell like cat pee sir lol, my tank is just fine.

I'm not talking a few drops of tap water, if you read my posts you would see that I said some Decor can trap water, so staying on the safe side like rinsing decor out with tank water ( if you decide to do that) is a way to do that and doesn't kill any bb on the decor. I initially made this thread to help rule things out, not looking for conflict. I'm sure added bb everytime you do wc is not a good idea, and like you said for a new tank it's fine.

I'm no expert. But who here is?

I'm not talking a few drops of tap water, if you read my posts you would see that I said some Decor can trap water, so staying on the safe side like rinsing decor out with tank water ( if you decide to do that) is a way to do that and doesn't kill any bb on the decor. I initially made this thread to help rule things out, not looking for conflict. I'm sure added bb everytime you do wc is not a good idea, and like you said for a new tank it's fine.

I'm no expert. But who here is?

Bandit is pretty much an expert..

Ok give me the definition of an expert in aquatics. Maybe very knowledgeable but expert is a word thrown around like it's nothing nowadays.

Why do I feel like I'm being attacked everytime I post something??????

Attacked? Not really.. more so called out on continuously sub pat information. Step it up bro;) no shame in doing a little quick research prior to posting. I'm a big fan of starting a post I'm not too sure about with "I'm no expert but..." sometimes if a thread goes ignored it actually does help to bump it with a portion of advice, whether it sparks the op to sniff out the rest of the story or another member to elaborate, it does help. Defending an opinion aggressively does not;) were all here to help, it's not a popularity contest.

Because you're posting stuff telling people what to do :) And it's often advice that more experienced fish keepers believe is inaccurate and even harmful for newbies to follow.

One successful method of participating here is to make one of two posts:

A post starting a thread in which you ask a question.

A post you make to answer someone else's question, in which you are humble about your answer and are clear about where your advice comes from, what your experience is, etc. be really honest. Something like "I've seen people recommend A and B, I have 6 months experience with B after having seen it suggested by (specific source). My own experience has (your personal result). But I get that others have other experiences."

Also be very careful about giving advice on a method or product whose chemical processes you can't completely explain.

Starting a thread in which you say "hey everybody, remember to do - when you -" isn't going to be welcomed.

To be frank in your first post you come off as a) sort of a bosssypants and (since you're recommending something the vast majority of this community knows isn't really a thing) you accidentally sound like B) a noob trying to sound like an expert. I'm sure you're neither that's just an easy interpretation from your OP.

The nice thing is, this community is very forgiving of newbie bossypants-es. It's a sign of passion and we all get it wrong sometimes!

So stick around, read more than you write, and stick to what you've researched from multiple sources and experienced yourself (with a humble tone).

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Wasn't trying to be a bossy pants, just didn't explain it as well as the source it came from...I'll be more careful next time, maybe I got a little too excited and thought that I was good at this in a way.

Some of us here are very passionate about our hobby. I personally have gotten through many down falls in the 40+ plus years in the hobby and have learned by my own mistakes, so most of the advice I would give, comes from personal experience and even then I still have to be open minded to other opinions as well.

So we should just all move forward at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

One successful method of participating here is to make one of two posts:

A post starting a thread in which you ask a question.

A post you make to answer someone else's question, in which you are humble about your answer and are clear about where your advice comes from, what your experience is, etc. be really honest. Something like "I've seen people recommend A and B, I have 6 months experience with B after having seen it suggested by (specific source). My own experience has (your personal result). But I get that others have other experiences."

Also be very careful about giving advice on a method or product whose chemical processes you can't completely explain.

Starting a thread in which you say "hey everybody, remember to do - when you -" isn't going to be welcomed.

This is excellent advice.

Some of us here are very passionate about our hobby. I personally have gotten through many down falls in the 40+ plus years in the hobby and have learned by my own mistakes, so most of the advice I would give, comes from personal experience and even then I still have to be open minded to other opinions as well.

So we should just all move forward at this point.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah been doing this for about two years not counting the fish I had when I was a child. I find it amazing how many people do it in so many different ways.

What I started with was angels, platy, goldfish and mollies and moved on to cichlids and within a year I've had alot of different species cone and go due to trail and error. I think I got a good handle on it now.

I appeciate the feed back and advice from everyone here. :)

I don't think anyone was really attacking you. It was honestly just a bad thread to begin with. I've never used bottled bb and a lot of other people on here haven't either. As its been stated multiple times bottled bb is just a gimmick. Bb forms on its own when you cycle a tank and add fish. That said I think for the most part everyone gets along pretty well. I like reading your posts and I don't think anyone here has been targeting you personally. This is the internet and anywhere you go there will be a little argument

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom