A little salt ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flossie

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do mollies have to have some salt or are they okay w/o it ??

Awesome cause I don't know anything about salt lol

I know that salt is necessary to balance their electrolytes but not unless you notice symptoms. Plants and fish with extremely small scales, like corys, do not tolerate it well. Remember that there is no such thing as a scaleless fish, they are just super small.

It isn't strictly necessary. Many of them do benefit with an addition of salt to the water. It depends on whether they were raised in brackish or freshwater. Freshwater raised can slowly be acclimated to it if need be.

You can also use salt in your tank to ward against disease. Don't use it in mine anymore, use to when I was a young (inexperienced) aquarist.
gail

They can be brackish fish, but mollies are mostly sold in fresh water. It would kill them if you brought them home to your brackish tank and they came from fresh water. I think they do better in fresh water anyway.

Shadowraven said:
It isn't strictly necessary. Many of them do benefit with an addition of salt to the water. It depends on whether they were raised in brackish or freshwater. Freshwater raised can slowly be acclimated to it if need be.

Totally agree. They do well in brackish water but just as well in fresh as long as standards are maintained

Back
Top Bottom