A newbie here with a bunch of questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarterFisherman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all!

I just set up my son's 1st fish tank and I've never had a fish tank before. I would like to get some feedback on what I did and I have a bunch of questions.

What I did: I purchased a 10 gallon tank from PetSmart w/ the heater combo, along with 10 pounds of fluorescent colored gravel that my sone selected. I rinsed the tank and all the appliances. Filled it up, turned on the filter. After 30 minutes I turned on the heater. Then I added the sample that came with the tank, 10 ML API Stress Coat and 10 ML API Stress Zyme (was I supposed to add them now? Was I supposed to add them together?

What I am planning: this will be my son's "reward" to get fish to add, as well as decorations. I will be taking him on Saturday to get his first (2) fish, along with a few decorations suitable for the selected fish. I want to max out with only 8 fish total when all is said & done. Today, we looked at Tetras & Guppies. I would also like to add a sucker or catfish type fish and a crab. Can I do 10 animals in this tank? Are there any other beneficial "animals" that will coexist with the fish in this size tank that I should look at?

Questions:
1) can I replace the light bulbs w/ fluorescent bulbs?
2) do I need to add a decoration that supplies air to the tank? The filter does not create any bubbles
3) I need a brand recommendation on fish food, water tester, dechlorinator/stabilizer, bacteria supplement (do I need this)
4) does the filter need to run 24/7? If not, what is minimum running time?
5) is there a ratio for artificial plants vs fish quantity? Or is that purely aesthetics?
6) what is a gravel vacuum?
7) how do I get out of this? (kidding)

Really easy but i suggest let i run for another week and yes leave the filter on 24/7 just dont make the mistake i did and get fish that will grow big dont get common pleco i suggest live plants and gravel vacum is pretty much a tool to use to clean your tank

StarterFisherman said:
Hi all!

I just set up my son's 1st fish tank and I've never had a fish tank before. I would like to get some feedback on what I did and I have a bunch of questions.

What I did: I purchased a 10 gallon tank from PetSmart w/ the heater combo, along with 10 pounds of fluorescent colored gravel that my sone selected. I rinsed the tank and all the appliances. Filled it up, turned on the filter. After 30 minutes I turned on the heater. Then I added the sample that came with the tank, 10 ML API Stress Coat and 10 ML API Stress Zyme (was I supposed to add them now? Was I supposed to add them together?

What I am planning: this will be my son's "reward" to get fish to add, as well as decorations. I will be taking him on Saturday to get his first (2) fish, along with a few decorations suitable for the selected fish. I want to max out with only 8 fish total when all is said & done. Today, we looked at Tetras & Guppies. I would also like to add a sucker or catfish type fish and a crab. Can I do 10 animals in this tank? Are there any other beneficial "animals" that will coexist with the fish in this size tank that I should look at?

Questions:
1) can I replace the light bulbs w/ fluorescent bulbs?
2) do I need to add a decoration that supplies air to the tank? The filter does not create any bubbles
3) I need a brand recommendation on fish food, water tester, dechlorinator/stabilizer, bacteria supplement (do I need this)
4) does the filter need to run 24/7? If not, what is minimum running time?
5) is there a ratio for artificial plants vs fish quantity? Or is that purely aesthetics?
6) what is a gravel vacuum?
7) how do I get out of this? (kidding)

I would suggest the API master test kit

I'm not sure if you tank will be fully cycled by Saturday. When that day comes, test the water and post your results and we can help you decide if your ready for fish or not.

Depending on what kind and how many fish you get you may need an air stone.

I would also suggest the filter stays on at all times.

I'm not sure if any Plecos (sucker fish) will stay small enough to fit in a ten gal permanatly. Your only options are probably bristlenose and rubber lip Plecos.
You could get some small Cory's which are really cool catfish, and they will help keep your tank clean.

You can't really keep a fiddler crab with fish. One because they'll probably eat the fish. Two they need a spot to get out of the water. And three they are saltwater/brackish and won't survive very long in freshwater. Maybe look into African dwarf frogs.

Another interesting alternative for bottom feeders is shrimp. Ghost shrimp are the easiest to get and the cheapest ( around 35 cents) and they are very entertaining.

There's no real ratio for plants to fish. But some fish like it more planted some like it less do it all depends on the fish.

Welcome to AA and the wonderful hobby of fish keeping. Hope this helps you :)

Welcome to AA!

A 10 gallon is a small tank and ten fish is a no-go. Please look into some of the threads in the stickies section... There is a ton of good info on "cycling" a tank and preparing it for fish.

I will let others give you stocking recommendation but will help you out with a bump and answer a few of your questions.

1) Yes you can, but, it will put you up into medium and higher light levels and may cause algae issues if you don't have any live plants to soak up the nutrients. Stick with the low watt incandescents for now or get some very low watt fluorescent.
2) No you don't. So long as there is surface movement things will be fine.
3) Food: a variety, don't just stick with one type.
Water conditioner: SeaChem Prime, uses less and saves you money.
Bacteria-in-a-bottle: waste of money.
4) Yes, 24/7
5) Fish do like cover. They need places to hide and relax. Do what looks good to you but give them some cover and some line-of-sight breaks.
6) http://www.petco.com/product/114921/Aqueon-Siphon-Vacuum-Aquarium-Gravel-Cleaner.aspx
There are many different sizes and manufacturers.
7) Hammer. ;)

Back
Top Bottom