a question about a filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starquest

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need a second filter for my new 50 gallon tank that I'm getting ready to cycle( if the heater ever gets here from Amazon). I have been trying to make up my mind about a canister that I found on Amazon, a brand I never heard of, but it's cheap and has 5 star reviews. I would rather trust opinions from you all though, and if you have time, could you see what you think: http://www.amazon.com/AquaTop-CF-40...UTF8&coliid=I329I44DHROIN0&colid=GER69TIS7WEJ. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks.:thanks::thanks: Also, the other filter I have is an Aqueon 50 that I never used.

usually when its cheaper, its for a reason. it might work great at first and then get worse or louder or break. i have a 65 gallon "overstocked" tank and i use a hob aquaclear 70 gallon and a fluval u4 on the bottom for a current and extra filteration. its a good combo. if you really want a canister filter i would just save and spend the extra money, it will be better in the long term. Im actually thinking about getting the fuval G series canister.

Yeah, that's kind of how I was feeling, but I thought I would just check it out, cause it comes with the UV also. I have put Eco Complete as my substrate, because I do want plants eventually, but for now, I can't afford to upgrade the lighting from the Aqueon T8's that came with the tank. So maybe I won't need canister filtration at that point.

If you have a petsmart near you, they are closing out their RENA XP3..I got two for 47.47 each...prices differ from each location.

Well... they aren't listing the Rena filters on their website anymore, so I called the closest store, and can't get anyone to pick up in aquatics - waited about 10 min. I actually don't remember seeing any in there since about Aug, when I first got started on this addicting hobby, and I didn't know anything about canisters then, but I did look at them long and hard. But thanks for the info. Maybe I'll try a different Petsmart....:fish2:

Back
Top Bottom