A variation to the fishless cycle: will this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the case of Tap Water that contains Ammonia, you still only need to add a good dechlorinator. It just needs to be one like Prime that can detoxify Ammonia (I believe Amquel is another dechlor that would work in this situation, but I don't remember for sure). Since the Ammonia is converted to a non toxic form it can safely be added to the aquarium where the biofilter will take care of it with no risk to the fish.

Just saw the question asked about if Amquel will work and I did a little reading.... this is right from the manufacturers website. There seems to be an Amquel conditioner and an Amquel+ conditioner. The following is taken from their site comparing the two, these are all things that they have in common;

"AmQuel+ will remove over 30 ppm chlorine per dose (one teaspoon per 10 gallons of water), far beyond what any water supplier will use, which may be up to 3 ppm). Most chloramines contain less than 1.0 ppm ammonia. Both AmQuel and AmQuel+ remove all forms of ammonia that are natural in ponds and aquaria. At the dose of one teaspoon per 10 gallons of water AmQuel will remove one part per million ammonia, AmQuel+ will remove a greater amount, at least 1.2 ppm, and usually more than that. Both AmQuel and AmQuel+ remove some of the other nitrogenous organic compounds that are common in aquaria and ponds, with AmQuel+ removing a much greater amount per dose."

Either one it does seem to remove some ammonia. I would still keep up w/ pwc's.

Sorry for the delay in answering. Purrbox is right though, dechlorinator will also detoxify ammonia from the tap water. Amquel or Prime will do the same thing. (Almost all dechlorinators are the exact same chemical.) The only noticeable difference in any of them is how concentrated they are. It's kinda like shampoo, they're all the same, only the smell and the water content change.

Well, I am a bit late for this thread. And I haven't been around for quite a while to preach my "go low and go slow" philosopy, but here it is:

Low Bio-load

Fishless cycling is great. But there is another way, IF (and that is a BIG IF) you have patience and restraint. If you are such a person, then the link above explains a way to be humane without staring at a giant square test tube.

Oh, and as far as understanding water conditioners and test kits, I made some notes a while back, and they are at:

test kit chemistry

Wallygator -

Almost all municipal supplies of water do not have ammonia in it, rather they have chloramines added to it. If you look at my test kit chemistry link above, you will find that the AP test kit measures ammonia by first adding chlorine to form chloramine, then measures the amount of chloramine present to tell you how much ammonia was there to begin with. As such, a municiple supply that uses chloramine will turn a home aquarium ammonia test kit positive.

I have heard of some well water supplies in rural, farming communities having positive ammonia tests due to fertilizer run off into the well water.

Chloramine is toxic to fish, more so than chlorine since chloramine does not evaporate off like chlorine does. Always use a water conditioner suitable for chloramines if you have it in your water

Back
Top Bottom