AA Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important, the deal so far!

First, no special tour, I couldn't get anything extra without paying $$$, so I just went with the standard admission, group rates.

I needed to give them an approximate head count, so I said 25. We MUST have at least 15 paying people in the group, I think that's been established as no problem.

Here are the group rates:
Adults: $16.00
Seniors (ages 60 and up): $13.25
Students (ages 12 to 18 ): $10.75
Children (ages 3 to 11): $8.75
Under 3, free (Kayla gets in free, fishfreek!)

I didn't ask about tax, there better not be any bloody taxes!*

The reservation is for May 21st, 12:15 (I did not have a lot of choice as to the time, I didn't think we wanted 9am, and 12:15 was the soonest after that). They schedule the Dolphin showtimes, ours is 12:30. After the Dolphin show, we are free to tour the rest of the Aquarium on our own, for as long as we wish!

The reservation is in my name, they will be sending me further details via snail mail. When I receive that, I will post any pertinent information.

As I assumed, I will be responsible for making the deposit and the payment for the group. Each of you will then be responsible for paying me. (obvious, but I had to say it)

Any questions? Comments? Concerns?
If so, post them here or PM me.

Thanks,

Paul

* If there are Any Bloody Taxes I say we stage a revolt, and re-enact the Boston Tea Party in the Baltimore Harbour!
:mrgreen:

OK, with the times you mentioned considered, I'm guessing we gotta, or at least might try to figure out what time we eat. Seems like we were leaning towards a place that has the MD blue crabs, other seafood, and regular food as options.

Breaking bread and showing those non-crab folks a few tricks is still in the target range, right ya'll? Oh yeah, those garlic thingies too from the NY contingent. Yeah, learn me something Jchillin. You said I've got a lesson to learn 'bout them garlic thingies.

Who was it again that wants the crab pickin' lesson? I think we'll have a few teachers. :wink:

Your right Ray, we did mention something about munching on crab. Yeah, you do have something to learn about those garlic thingies...LOL.

I think it was QTOFFER who requested the crab picking lesson.

So, since our raid on the Aquarium is a little afternoon, we should meet at a fine dining establishment to get our feedbags on prior to that.

12:30 dolphin show, grub, then aquarium? Is that possible to leave and do it that way? What time does it close? Guess that'd determine if we can do it that way. Otherwise, it might be a dinner thing afterwards.

I'm thinking we gotta eat and chill together. Crabs, garlic thingies.

I'm thinking we gotta eat and chill together. Crabs, garlic thingies.

I believe this is customary in a civiized society.

When us Northerner's did the Museum thing, we entered the Museum, then took a break for lunch and returned to the Museum. I would think that the only obstacle facing us would be seating our group at an establish that could handle us. Reservations may be in order.

It was me who needs those crab picking lessons!
Last time I was in Baltimore, I ordered a dozen of those infernal bugs, and left swearing that next time I would return with a clawhammer and a cordless Dremel! :twisted:
They were delicious, but alot of work for an inexperienced crab picker like myself - the crab cakes didn't seem quite so expensive after that. :wink:

It takes a while to get everyone assembled, seated, and served. If we plan on sining as a group before the aquarium, we should probably meet someplace at around 11. The other option is to have everyone get brunch on their own, meet at the aquarium, and go to a nice seafood place after the aquarium - that way, we won't be pressed for time.

I agree with QTOFFER. being that my breakfast isnt until 10AM, lunch at 11 would be pushing it. besides...after hiking thru the aquarium I think we all will have worked up an appetite! and I generally dislike time constraints...
While I love crab, I grew up on Dungeness(sp?) crabs, and those parasites they have in the MD bay are way too much work for the price! but I will be happy to help any newbies when I can!

I dont know how easy it is to leave and re enter. I know they try to control the number of persons in the aquarium so as to give everyone a decent viewing. Last time I was up there for example it was mid morning and they where selling entrance tickets for mid afternoon. They sell X number of tickets for Y entry time and when that number is reached they change the entry time on the tickets being purchased. I think your best bet would be to have an early lunch at 11 or something. Although an hour isnt really much time for a true crab pickin experence. That stuff can run all afternoon.

I agree you will need more than an hour to eat crab.
Also, last year when we were there, they gave us a hand stamp so we could re-enter the aquarium.

:D What's wrong with a late breakfast and an early dinner? It would be much easier to seat this many people before the restaurants start getting their Saturday night dinner crowds. :wink:

How is it I check this site every day and missed this whole thread? I was looking for an excuse to go to the Aquarium--you can count me and my wife in.

Last time we went to the aquarium we rode the metro in. This is probably what we will do again. Those of you whom are local yocals what metro station closest to Fredrick or Mt. Airy will take me into the interharbor? I know there is a metro stop like 2 or 3 blocks from the aquarium.

Im in favor of a mid afternoon meal. We will probably be comming up early Sat or Friday night and then planning on spending some time around the harbor prior to the 12:15 entry time.

Were going to come up Friday night and get a hotel. Spend the day with you folks on Saturday and head down to DC to give the kids a quick tour on Sunday, heading home in the late afternoon. A lot of running, but should be fun. :)

Thanks Cindy, actually I lived in the DC area when I was in the navy from 86-89. Just while we were in the area, though I would show the kids some of the landmarks. Don't really have the time for tours, just a quick run through and a lunch somewhere. Gotta get back here Sunday night. :)

Ya'll wanna shoot for dinner about some where in the 4 range? Only thing, that'd probably put us at 7 - 8 or so to finish eating and depart. Might be worth trying to ID a place to eat dinner for us all and working something out with the establishment in advance.

Everybody on their own until we meet at 12:15?

Sorry, I manage processes and procedures in my day job and have a habit of trying to develop similar controls on time. Then again, it might help us all put our timelines together as much as possible since folks have shedules to meet with family or travel - or both.

Ray, micromanagement is now all the rage, so don't apologize! This is where we need to be at this point for, as I mentioned earlier...we will need to find an establishment that can handle seating all of us (and won't catch a fit when I bring out the garlic thingies). Believe me, these go great with seafood!

I dont know how easy it is to leave and re enter.

95% sure you can't. you leave, you must pay again to get back in. Almost positive of that.

Edit :oops: :oops: :oops: See Fluff's replies below, I was Wrong!

Fluff said:
last year when we were there, they gave us a hand stamp so we could re-enter the aquarium.

Unless my mind has finally gone, I'm pretty sure you can get back in.

Sheesh corvus, you really had me doubting myself. I just called them and asked about leaving and coming back and yes, for sure, you get your hand stamped on the way in so you can return.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom