?? About Aquatic Plant Bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nate21xl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought that pack from PetCo that has the different bulbs in it to grow plants in my tank.Now it says each package comes with 3 bulbs but mine in particular came with 6.
I'm just trying to identify which bulb is which plant. I think I got it but just need/want some clarification.
1. Onion- This one is obvious to tell and so far the only that has sprouted but it has only been 2-3 days.
2. ?? Aponogeton- I have 2 brown bulbs that are shaped like peanuts which I believe are the Apono's ?? IF anyone knows
3.?? Water Lily- The biggest bulb was a little smaller than a golf ball and all black ?? if this is the lily.
4. These are an extra 2 which im wondering might be a differnt species of apono as to me the outside looks the same just these are walnut shaped.

Has anyone used these before?
How long before I can expect the others to sprout?
Thank You

I bought that pack from PetCo that has the different bulbs in it to grow plants in my tank.Now it says each package comes with 3 bulbs but mine in particular came with 6.
I'm just trying to identify which bulb is which plant. I think I got it but just need/want some clarification.
1. Onion- This one is obvious to tell and so far the only that has sprouted but it has only been 2-3 days.
2. ?? Aponogeton- I have 2 brown bulbs that are shaped like peanuts which I believe are the Apono's ?? IF anyone knows
3.?? Water Lily- The biggest bulb was a little smaller than a golf ball and all black ?? if this is the lily.
4. These are an extra 2 which im wondering might be a differnt species of apono as to me the outside looks the same just these are walnut shaped.

Has anyone used these before?
How long before I can expect the others to sprout?
Thank You

These are a bunch of fun to grow. I think you got the id's right, there are some other threads on here about them, I remember detailing a little about some, but it has been sooo long!

Just keep your receipt and take back what doesn't grow! Sounds like you got a bonanza of bulbs in that pack! They are a great value and grow pretty fast. I think the Apono would be a few more days and the lily could be a few after that. Again long ago, but I think I should get some more, that was fun!

I presprounted mine on one occasion with baggies and damp paper towels. The bulbs grow pretty fast and I know for sure the Apono and Lily like root tabs underneath 2-3" (3 is better)" deep every ~ 4 inches.

These are a bunch of fun to grow. I think you got the id's right, there are some other threads on here about them, I remember detailing a little about some, but it has been sooo long!

Just keep your receipt and take back what doesn't grow! Sounds like you got a bonanza of bulbs in that pack! They are a great value and grow pretty fast. I think the Apono would be a few more days and the lily could be a few after that. Again long ago, but I think I should get some more, that was fun!

I presprounted mine on one occasion with baggies and damp paper towels. The bulbs grow pretty fast and I know for sure the Apono and Lily like root tabs underneath 2-3" (3 is better)" deep every ~ 4 inches.

Thank you.
But yeah they are pretty cool. The onon is growing really quick so thats fun to watch.
And I do have root tabs in so hopefully they sprout soon.
Not sure if you would know this but I used Api Leaf Zone too woke up to brownish/orange water so I did a fairlt good % water change n its still a little brownish.
Even the filter is new justtoday and is also colord.
Not sure if its just from the tankcycling.

Plant bulb Id are correct as I've had all those before. Not sure about brown water. Does your filter have a carbon insert? Did you rinse it well? I've never used API LEAF ZONE. I use the Seachem ferts only. Hopefully someone else here can help with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use api leaf zone on my 2 bigger tanks, and it has never turned my water brown, but I couldn't really tell you what did haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I use api leaf zone on my 2 bigger tanks, and it has never turned my water brown, but I couldn't really tell you what did haha

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I only have a 10g and im only about a week in with it.
After a little more research im beginning to think its diatoms.
Have brownish bubbles on top of tank and when I wipe the glass its all brown.
Any tips on how to get rid of it?
Should I just carry on like normal and they'll eventually play tjemselves out?

I only had two of them grow, water Lilly and onion. Water Lilly grew like crazy, I actually had to trim it down occasionally and looked real nice, the onion looked like just a couple of green stems, like a regular onion plant.

I was going to ask if you had Driftwood maybe turning your water colored.

But diatoms is different. I have only had brief, very light showings of it. I always did reuced lighting periods and split so leave the light out in the middle of the photoperiod for a couple hours or more is fine, like on for 3 hours in the AM and then on for 3-6 hours in the evening when you are home and can see the tank. The time depends on how strong your bulbs are and what your plants might need.

There are likely many threads here on AA. Use the search feature and see what pops up. I think lowering phosphates will help. There are removers for phosphate, Seachem has one called Phosguard. I use it in my SW nano reef. (also for FW)

Also are you feeding a basic inexpensive, flake food? Many times the food seems to have a negative effect. I use Hikari for basic feeding.

did a 35-40% water change yesterday waters still a little colored but alot better.
just wondering though if i should plant these bulbs under the gravel or just leave them growing resting on top of it.
As of today the onion is still growing with 3 seperate stems, and both aponons have stems sprouting from one end.
And the water lily bulb also has a few little stems/roots coming out as well.

The onion about 3/4 of the way in, the Aponos just covered, and the lily about 1/2 to 2/3. That is how I did mine, and just gently let the substrate cover, don't push in or pack it down firmly. Someone else could have other opinions :).

The onion about 3/4 of the way in, the Aponos just covered, and the lily about 1/2 to 2/3. That is how I did mine, and just gently let the substrate cover, don't push in or pack it down firmly. Someone else could have other opinions :).

Thanks for th advice.
I got a banana plant as well because I was nervous the bulbs werent going to grow and so far it sprouted two leaves since.
I feel really lucky and am really excited because as of last night all of my 6 bulbs have begun sprouting.

Thanks for th advice.
I got a banana plant as well because I was nervous the bulbs werent going to grow and so far it sprouted two leaves since.
I feel really lucky and am really excited because as of last night all of my 6 bulbs have begun sprouting.

The Banana plant shouldn't be planted into the substrate just sitting on top, they usually grow roots down into the substrate from the ends of the "bananas".

You must have got really fresh ones, very lucky!

The Banana plant shouldn't be planted into the substrate just sitting on top, they usually grow roots down into the substrate from the ends of the "bananas".

You must have got really fresh ones, very lucky!

I didn't knew it grew roots from the bananas but I knew better than to bury as last time i got one i did and it rotted and died in a few days.

There is a learning curve, and you are learning! Plus we all are always learning something.

Yup and the Banana plants roots can get 18" long!!! Maybe I have just had a few crazy ones, and on most of them, the "banana" root parts eventually rotted away and I had super long roots. That has happened on about the last 3 I have had! Maybe someone else knows why, lol!?!

Back
Top Bottom